What’s Your Most Nostalgic MMO?

I’d bet that almost everyone answers Everquest to the above question. I’m very tempted to say the same however I’m not going to. I’m going to say Star Wars: Galaxies.

Yeah, I know, I’m just plain crazy. But I’m talking about the original, unadulterated, pre-NGE SW:G. Unfortunately, I’ve lost all of my old screenshots but here’s some of my top moments:

1. Spending an entire summer playing Cromwell, my Zabrak Pikeman/Chef/Dancer, with Salinger, a Trandosian Swordsman who also happened to be my flat mate (room mate for US readers – not actually a friend who was physically flat) at the time.

2. Deciding to rework my body image and finding an Image Designer to make me hugely obese.

3. Further reworking my body image so I wore a headdress and a blue open jacket, revealing my voluptuous belly.

4. Inspiring my comrades by dancing around campfires in the desert of Tatooine with said reworked body image.

5. Gathering together giantic 20 man groups (usually full of complete noobs eager for adventure) and taking them off to the Tusken Raider fortress on Tatooine, getting them slaughtered and repeating the process over and over again.

6. Being thoroughly impressed when my Bio-Engineer buddy turned up with an AT-ST and blew the hell out of everything single-handedly.

See, you don’t need to just feel nostalgic about Everquest :)

Interestingly enough, I did a little digging on the net when writing this article and found a few pre-NGE emulator projects. True Galaxies seems to cover them all and then there’s also SWGEmu and SWG:ANH. I guess I’m not the only one who misses the original Star Wars: Galaxies.

So what MMORPG do you feel most nostalgic about?

1. When SoE Ruled The World
  2. The Best Of The Rest: Onwards To London Edition
  3. IP Based MMOs Are High risk
  4. MMO Classes That I Love
  5. 6 Player Groups – The Perfect Size

1. wilhelm2451 says:

I am going to have to go with the obvious and say EverQuest. It was DIKU MUD brought to a graphical 3D world. It was amazing and huge and scary and difficult and brought out an intensity of feelings, both highs and lows, that few games have come close to for me. I am grumpy about many games because they fail to bring out that same level of emotion. Some get a tangible response, but EQ is the yardstick against which they are measured.

By the time SWG came along, I was burned out on EQ and taking a break from MMOs. Plus, truth be told, I’m more of a Star Trek guy.

2. Andrew says:

Chaos Blade: the MUD I first designed zones for, and then helped implement a level cap increase and introduced two entire new classes.

Those were some fun and informative years.

3. spinks says:

I’m going to say Dark Age of Camelot.

I remember getting all excited about the beta with a friend I used to play RPGs with (both Arthurian nuts). I remember our guild had some keep we used to regularly claim and streams of people in guild colours heading out into the frontier to defend it when it was under attack. I remember running huge (ie. more than 100 people) public raids to clear the master levels. I remember having the best house ever, and some of the best guild drama ever too :)

4. Peter says:

I’ve gotta say Ultima Online is the one game that I feel very nostalgic about. Introduced me to online gaming, gotten some friends I still play with from it, and it was the pioneer of MMO’s to say the least.

5. Gordon says:

EQ will always be my first love but I guess the main reason I picked SW:G was because it reminds me of a time when MMO developers really want to push the boundaries of the industry and technology. Sure, SW:G didn’t manage to quite pull it off but SOE conceptualized an entire player made economy, player cities, pure entertainment and fluff professions etc. It was brave stuff. WoW may be a fantastic game but Blizzard played it safe.

@spinks I’m with you on the DAOC love :)

6. [...] is nostalgic about an old SOE game, but it’s not EQ or EQII — he’s missing the good old days of Star Wars: Galaxies. Surprised? I hear a LOT of people wax nostalgic about that game, though I could never get into it [...]

7. JC says:

It’s SWG for me also. I was in a couple of wonderful PA’s, had tons of fun. I still can’t get over how much the fact that my Master Dancer was also a Teras Kasi Master surprised people. It was fun going out unarmored (but buffed) to Dathomir and solo-farming rancors in some of my dance outfits and my Dancer tag up. People’d stop to watch. . . .

8. Guaka says:

I think I’m most nostalgic for the lead-up to the release of an mmo. The anticipation is awesome and the first few days of play… Before I inevitably head back to WoW.

9. Beej says:

I am tied between my 5x 120 mage on Ultima Online I played since 1998, or my Wookiee Jedi Damiiyynn in SWG.

Both games hold far more nostalgia for me than I think WoW ever will because they fostered more interactive gameplay.