What’s Your Most Nostalgic MMO?
I’d bet that almost everyone answers Everquest to the above question. I’m very tempted to say the same however I’m not going to. I’m going to say Star Wars: Galaxies.
Yeah, I know, I’m just plain crazy. But I’m talking about the original, unadulterated, pre-NGE SW:G. Unfortunately, I’ve lost all of my old screenshots but here’s some of my top moments:
1. Spending an entire summer playing Cromwell, my Zabrak Pikeman/Chef/Dancer, with Salinger, a Trandosian Swordsman who also happened to be my flat mate (room mate for US readers – not actually a friend who was physically flat) at the time.
2. Deciding to rework my body image and finding an Image Designer to make me hugely obese.
3. Further reworking my body image so I wore a headdress and a blue open jacket, revealing my voluptuous belly.
4. Inspiring my comrades by dancing around campfires in the desert of Tatooine with said reworked body image.
5. Gathering together giantic 20 man groups (usually full of complete noobs eager for adventure) and taking them off to the Tusken Raider fortress on Tatooine, getting them slaughtered and repeating the process over and over again.
6. Being thoroughly impressed when my Bio-Engineer buddy turned up with an AT-ST and blew the hell out of everything single-handedly.
See, you don’t need to just feel nostalgic about Everquest
Interestingly enough, I did a little digging on the net when writing this article and found a few pre-NGE emulator projects. True Galaxies seems to cover them all and then there’s also SWGEmu and SWG:ANH. I guess I’m not the only one who misses the original Star Wars: Galaxies.
So what MMORPG do you feel most nostalgic about?