Exploring EVE Online

Ever since I watched the documentary Another Perfect World I’ve been curious about EVE Online. Maybe I’m just extremely impressionable but they made it sound very cool. I love the idea of sandbox MMORPGs and virtual worlds and, unless you count the original Star Wars: Galaxies (that was a sandbox game right?), I’ve never played one before. Something about the absolute freedom you get and the ability to take part in huge interstellar wars appeals to me greatly.

I downloaded the 14 day trial of EVE Online just over two weeks ago and have been playing around with it slowly and steadily. My trial ran out yesterday so I decided to subscribe and continue to play as I felt that I hadn’t finished with it yet or even scratched the surface of what it had to offer. EVE is a hugely complex game and, even after toying with it on and off for two weeks, I still haven’t really gotten to grips with it all. But I’m getting there.

The vastness and complexity of the game is in many ways extremely scary and yet, in others, very appealing. It’s kinda refreshing to log into a MMORPG for the first time and have utterly no idea what’s going on or what anything means. It makes a change from me usually picking up and running with a MMO within moments.

EVE also seems to offer something of a casual playstyle (although maybe I’m just not hooked enough yet) but the idea of everything being skill based, as oppossed to levels, takes away that itch to try and level up as fast as possible. Skills are also trained in real time and queued up so I can go to work and know that my character in EVE is still slowly progressing up. Very cool.

I’ve still got a long way to go. I haven’t even joined a corporation yet and only just purchased my third ship, plus I’m terrified to go anywhere as I’m also still constantly trying to work things out. We’ll see how it goes though. I’m glad I’ve subscribed because I’m feeling like a bit of a MMORPG nomad at the moment and this will distract me with something for the time being. Plus everyone keeps hammering one about how amazing the game is so there must be some truth to it.

If you play EVE and want to look me up then my character’s name is ‘Mantooth Jones’. Otherwise if you have any tips or advice, please share them with me! I need all of the help I can get right now :)

1. Why You Should Never Trust Anyone In EVE Online
  2. The Man Who Would Be King Of EVE Online
  3. How To Rob A Bank In EVE Online
  4. My Glorious Return To EVE Online
  5. You Don’t Need To Play EVE Online To Love It

I hope you picked Amarr. :) This will teach you how to use lasers, and guns especially in general. Missiles are quite easy to figure out, but circling stuff at close range does not work in EVE that well in the beginning, you will not hit anything small and fast that way – fly away from the target or head straight for it, to reduce “angular velocity” and to allow your guns to “track” the target better.

2. Tipa says:

Tipa Pinneau in EVE, of the Otakudyne Corp, playing in Gallente space around Aunia. I’m still really new, too, been flying about a month and a half and am building up my tank skills to fly my Myrmidon battle cruiser more effectively.

EVE is one of the most casual MMOs I know of, and easily the deepest.

3. Twan says:

I have never played a soley skill based mmo. I may give the 14 day trial a go.

Are you still stunned by the scope and mechanics, can you alreay report some interesting things you did?

There are some fun ships in the beginner range, like the Punisher, the Kestrel and the Rifter. :) Gallente get the really good stuff a bit later, and I am not into their droneboat playstyle either. Though drones are fun. I recommend Hammerheads. :)

I’m still trying to figure stuff out. I’ve almost ready to pilot my first Destroyer although I’ve got no idea if they’re any good or not. I’m digging the super casual nature of it actually – lets me play it along with WoW or another MMORPG.

5. Epsilon Kain says:

Eve is quite complex, to say the least, but after all the cookie cutter mmo’s i’ve played, it’s refreshing. I’ve been playing for a little over a year now, and the best thing i can do is leave you my characters name so that you can convo me if you have any questions.

You can either find me on Epsilon Kain, or most likely these days on my main, Strangeape.

Good luck :)

6. Gordon says:

Thanks for all of the tips and support, guys! I’ll try to look some of you up in game.

I pick Caldari as my race, not for any particular reason but just because I though they looked cool :) Their ships are quite nice looking too although I think I prefer Gallente.

My next goal is to get enough skills and cash to pilot a cruiser. I want to fly a big ass ship :)

7. Marchosias says:

Once the reality of the learning curve sets in, and you’re still willing to play – you’ll start to have a lot of fun :D Once you get your cruiser, keep your destroyer and outfit it as a salvage barge – they’re great at that. Plus salvage is a good way to make cash early on in the game.

OH, and #1 – don’t fly anything you aren’t willing to lose… twice… :)

8. Finnur says:

I was at a talk where one of the CCP dudes said that people that join alliances tend to stay much longer with in the game.

9. JeffDupp says:

Im really considering getting eve online because this game just looks so awesome. BUT! Im not to big on playing games that require a monthly fee.
    So there are a few questions i need answered that will help me decide.
    1) how much time per day or week is needed to get enough done in game to “advance?”
    2) does this game require a lot of coordination with other players or can you just jump in whenever you want?
    3) how does the profession system work?