Comedy Names in MMORPGs

Several years ago when Everquest was in its prime, there was a big craze of giving your avatar a comedy name. Y’know, something witty so all of your mates could have a chuckle – roleplaying was definitely at the bottom of the list whilst being funny was at the top. Maybe it’s just the games I play now or the servers I play on but the fad seems to have dissipated a lot in recent years… either that or devs are cracking down on it a lot more.

Some of the most memorable comedy names I saw in Everquest include two Ogres called “Devon Duddley” and “Buhbuhray Duddley” (aka the Duddley Boys from the WWF), “David Schwimmer” (I have no idea how the player got the name David past the censors) and my all time favourite, “Burt Reynolds”. However, perhaps the most renowned EQ character name has to be “Master Bates”, Bates being the first name and Master an awarded title. Hilarious stuff. In Everquest 2 I even encountered two players on Nagafen, the PvP server, called “Starskey” and “Hutch”.

I’m guilty of having a few comedy names myself, I have to admit. I had an Ogre Berserker on Stromm, Everquest, called “Crushinator” after the Futurama cartoon. My excuse was that it was kinda fitting for my character. Lame, I know. On Everquest 2, I also had an Ogre Shadowknight called “Vanilla Gorilla”. My excuse for that was just that it sounded cool :)

I’m glad that developers censor real world names in MMORPGs because it’s slightly jarring to be on a magnificent quest, slaying a bunch of rampaging Orcs in order to save a village and then suddenly bump into a Wood Elf called “J’Lo”. Still, sometimes it’s nice to have a laugh.

Anyone got any comedy names they’ve seen (or had) in MMOs they want to share?

1. What’s In A Name?
  2. Making Online Friends Through MMORPGs
  3. Gods In MMORPGs
  4. They Call Me Mantooth (What’s Your Internet Handle?)
  5. I Have An Ogre Fetish

1. Jason says:

The only comedy name that I actually played for longer than a day was a halfling named “Stopenzie Fingerpokin”. The joke was that I had an emote “/em pokes YOU with his finger!” Eventually someone would say “Hey, stop with the finger poking!” and I’d say, “Stopenzie Fingerpokin! That’s me!”

Lame, I know. But he made it to level 30 or so and pulled that on over a hundred people.

Friend of mine made a halfling named Lukko D’Ayresh (Luck of the Irish).

2. Chris says:

I have a Choppa on Warhammer named “Saladchoppa”. I get chuckles every once and a while. I saw another choppa the other day named “Karatechoppa” which was pretty good.

3. Brooke says:

A lot of the guys in our guild have interesting names. Our guild master is Seatstain. We also have a Greezycheeks, and we have a rumored Skidmark. For some reason we have a lot of guys that like to have female characters, so to compensate I made a big Orc man named Trixibelle. We also have the dumb names like Pepsirules, and a friend that plays as Cokeisbetter.

4. Beej says:

I’ve never been good at comedy names, but my roommate has some really awful ones. My favorite is his Druid on WoW named “lolwalrus.” He also used to have a character on UO named “Daddy Gravyboat” that I thought was hilarious. Another friend on WoW is making fun of txting commercials and named his Death Knight IDKMYDKJAM instead of IDK MY BFF JILL.

5. Sharon says:

In WoW, I have a tauren druid named Beefymama and a BE priest named Geekchick, but that’s as far as I’ve gone with goofy names.

Recently, my WAR guildies and I rolled order characters on Dark Crag for a goof, and ended up laughing in vent over the names, especially the witch hunters and bright wizards. How many fire related names can people seriously come up with?! On our roleplaying server the names usually aren’t quite as bad, except for the greenskins, where it’s expected, so we got quite a kick out of it.

6. Darraxus says:

I raided with a guy who played a female human Paladin named Deecup. How he got to 70 on an RP server I will never know.

7. Mike says:

I have 2 Sarnak toons on different servers named Jabberwock and a Dirge named Jimmorrison that I made on a lark, but has somehow gotten to lvl 80.

8. Draxi says:

The most sarcastic name I remember was an WoW mage named Nowaters, the most funny part was that we also knew each other in RL and everybody called him Nowaters.

Being non-native English speakers allows many of us to come up with names from funny to down right offensive without getting any attention from the GMs. Interesting side-effect of this is that we abused this offensive name changing function to change names from non-abusive “borring” names to funny and offensive ones. All you had to do is get a couple of friends to ticket a GM and tell them that your name is offensive in their native language e.g. Greek then the GM would make you change your name to really offensive stuff…

9. fazerboy says:

The best one ive seen yet ive seen in EvE wich is still up today….. ‘Backdoor Bandit’ who is in the ‘Minmitar Gay Rights League’ …. check his bio out…. here’s an extract : “The Minmatar Gay Rights League, fighting for YOUR right to approach from the rear!”

love this one lol

10. I played DAoC with a friend of a friend who played female characters and went with some variation of names that were pronounced “T and A”. It was pretty funny when the admins made him change his character’s name from “Tanda” but allowed it to be changed to “Teeanday”.

Yeah, I think someone didn’t understand why the name was inappropriate…. :)

Speaking of DAoC, the winner of the “I have issues” award for a name I saw goes to “Detselom Elcnukrad”. (Hint: read it backwards.)

11. SmakenDahed says:

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

:D

12. Stabs says:

If you’ll permit me to quote myself from my blog post on Runes of Magic:

“The game is clearly written and translated by people with a poor grasp of English. In addition to rather prosaic mistakes there are the occasion hilarious ones. The names are quite wonderful in their randomness. There’s a vendor called Vendor. There’s no understanding of the distinction between exotic English names like Aragorn and prosaic English names so the countryside abounds with mysterious wizards called things like “Pete” and “Chris”. There’s a guy called Wooky (hey, that must be a good English name cos there was a guy called Wooky in Star Wars, right? Wasn’t there?)”

@ Psychochild Huh?

I made a Puzzle Pirates character called Newbee. It’s usually good for a chuckle and some funny comments on big ships, especially when I tend to perform better than grizzled veterans.

I’ve toyed with various mildly punny or onomotopoeiaic names like Fizzwhump for a Gnomish Mage/tinkerer. It’s fun to try to be witty or humorous while still maintaining a shred of RP plausibility and decorum.

I consider stuff like the Deecup example to be scraping the bottom of the barrel for creativity. It’s clever…ish, but not really my brand of humor. I’m more interested in dry wit, like pontificating about the Pope.

14. Twan says:

In my younger years I rocked a ranged called Likenew Pussah.

15. Mallika says:

I have a good laugh at some comedy names — though you all have to admit the majority of them are just plain idiotic — but I’ve never made one myself. I think I’m too “old-fashioned” or “priggish” in that sense. For me, I like names that are actually names, not an internet meme or, to steal the phrase from Tesh, a bottom-of-the-barrel pun. :P

16. Espen says:

I am fully aware “Guybrush” isn’t the most original of names, but how is this: my fiance who also plays WoW has a char whose name is Elaine and together we run a guild called Revenge of LeChuck. We found it all hilarious and a great ode to a magnificent series of games, but surprisingly a lot of players ask “what the hell is leChuck?”

17. Dblade says:

In FFXI, so many people did, since there was no GM moderation of names except for offensive, and even then only if people complained to a GM. Orchishdenutter was a friend’s tarutaru mule. Another taru friend was named Sippykupp. A guy made a mithra character called Diditforthedex. There was a Poopsock running around, and a Manthra. (slang for male playing a mithra and recently, the only male mithra npc.)

However the comedy names that were best were from the Galka Random Generator. It follows the convention of Adjective Animal Name, but they put a lot of names that made no sense, like BentBagworm, or DilapidatedMongoose.

Best example though was in everquest online adventures. The LOTR movies came out during its run, so every elf was some variant of legolas, despite an official name policy. Someone named their elf LeggomyEggolas.

18. Gordon says:

@Dnlade Yeah I saw a lot of LOTR names in EQ and then a ton of SW names in SW:G. I quite like comedy names but I hate cheap rip offs like Darrrthvader etc.

19. Anakh says:

When I was playing Wow, some friends and I decided to make a group of gnome warlocks (and by the way, some of the most fun I ever had in the game) and we named ourselves SeeGnomeEvil, HearGnomeEvil, etc.

20. nugget says:

Ha! I just made a new necromancer in Guild Wars named ‘Glorious McNugget’.

O.o it makes all the heroic quest text (yes, in GW I read most of the quest text, omg!) very funny. At least to me. *hangs head*

Also, it’s good when I get questions like, ‘Do you know what McNuggets are made of!’ ‘Yes, why do you think I’m a necromancer!’

Doobeedoobeedoo…

21. truthseeker37 says:

EQ2
    Toons of mine
    Barbarian warlock named Ohhno You’didnt
    Arasai Assasin named Ragequit
    Arasai Dirge named Emoquit

Someone I know-
    Kerran assasin named Lynxded

Best name Ive seen-
    Ewan Wutarmee

22. Ür best lover says:

heyazzzzz all such funny name here is mine i always keep playing a game name sherwood
    dungeon and my name is chuttar LOL xD
    =======================================================================
    (F)

23. Ür best lover says:

IN THAT GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Barkhide says:

Myself I tend to go for nature names, but I love funny names like Justin Case, Mike Hawk or Stu Pididiot. You guyz got alot of smarter funny names. Very nice ;D I got a few lols outta this. Yeah I hate the cheezy rip offs good point… God bless an happy trails!

25. Shamrok'in says:

LAUGHING MAO! HAVE YOU FORGOT LAUGHING MAO?

26. justin credible says:

yea there was some good names in this lot but some crap ones too,
    i thnik going with names like mine up top aswell as a few more of the top of my head
    ben dover
    bill board
    ivanna tinkle
    mr r sole (my favourite)
    lenny atom (not sure on this one what do you lot think)

27. mikelhk says:

I personally pick out my names by randomly flipping through a dictionary. You get stuff that’s funny, others that are cool, and some that are just plain wrong.

In-game, best name I’ve seen thus far looked something like IIIIiiiIIiiIiiiiiIIIIIiiiIIII. Everyone called him Barcode. Lol.

28. Argablargaflarg says:

In WAR I saw a squigherder named Fumplewumpus… I thought it was funny so I sort of ripped it of for my Xbox Live gamertag but I changed it to Rumplewumpus

29. Hans says:

30. Rawrpwnzer says:

In WoW:

Tauren Druid: Heffer
    Frost Mage: Frosty Buns
    Troll Shamen: Sprinkles

31. Amado says:

I leave a response whenever I appreciate a post on a website or I have something to add to the
    conversation. Usually it is caused by the sincerness displayed in the article I looked at.
    And on this article Comedy Names in MMORPGs | We Fly Spitfires – MMORPG Blog.
    I was moved enough to create a thought :) I
    do have some questions for you if it’s allright. Is it simply me or does it appear like some of the comments come across like they are coming from brain dead visitors? :-P And, if you are writing at additional online social sites, I would like to follow you. Would you make a list all of all your communal pages like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

32. dragon vale says:

Unquestionably believe that which you said. Your favorite
    justification appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while people think about worries that
    they plainly don’t know about. You managed to hit the nail upon
    the top and defined out the whole thing without having side-effects , people can take a signal.

Will likely be back to get more. Thanks