Extreme Makeover: Website Edition

Unless you’re reading this by RSS you’ll probably have noticed that my site has had a rather large makeover. What, did you think I was going to stick with black and white forever? :) Now my site features such amazing additions as COLOUR and a BANNER. Wonders will never cease, eh. There’s also some adverts (holy sellout, Batman!) which are only there as I promised my wife that my blog would make her a millionaire. Fortunately I never put a time quote on that promise.

I’m thrilled with the new design and I hope you guys like it as much as I do. It’s certainly a little more colourful and eye-catching than the previous theme. I’m planning to keep on adding plenty of new bits and pieces and expanding on the new design over time to make the site a bit more interesting – I’ve stuck with the old sidebar and footer etc for now but those will hopefully get a makeover too in the not so distant future. I’d also like to take to this opportunity to say a huge thanks to my buddy Espen who put in a lot of hard work creating this lovely design for me. You rock, dude!

I’m aware of a couple of minor bugs in some older versions of Internet Explorer (but then everyone really should be using Firefox anyway right?) and I’ll slowly iron them all out. Recommendation: if you’re using IE6 then upgrade ASAP. It’s just a terrible, terrible browser and filled with security flaws, idiotic bugs and incompatibilities. It’s certainly the (cue Team America reference) Matt Damon of browsers. Anyway, ahem, I digress. Hope you enjoy the new look and if you do notice any bugs or weirdness then please let me know.

1. Minor Makeover: Website Edition
  2. The Best Of The Rest: Minor Makeover Edition
  3. Everquest In Your Browser
  4. What MMO Would You Like To See Get A Graphics Overhaul?
  5. The Best Of The Rest: Extreme Hangover Edition

1. Heyo! Nice redesign of the blog. :D

2. Werit says:

Not too shabby. I like the banner, who did that?

3. Helen McLachlan says:

OK, I was reading your blogs last night and thought I’d found myself a new project to cheer myself up this year. Spent a couple more hours reading all about EVE Online and getting a bit more excited. Andrew burst my bubble this afternoon by telling me we have nothing capable of playing any of it :-( Oh well, back to the knitting then…

EVE isn’t actually a very demanding game. Graphics update aside, it’s 6 years old so it doesn’t have very high system specs. It also runs on Macs. Worth checking out if you happen to have a spare MacBook lying around…

4. Beej says:

I like it. It’s spiffy, and it finally ties in with the Spitfire flying that I had to look up the first time to understand. ;)

5. I read by RSS, but still come for the comments on most articles. :)

But, looks nice!

You could make the tiny spitfire your favicon. The icon in the corner of the tab in your browser.

7. jared says:

the redesign is very sharp. i agree that all you need now is a favicon.

8. I was wondering if you knew anyone who does blog redesign like this for Blogger (I’m stupid and didn’t go with Wordpress).

I am absolutely no good with themes or visual design, and my blog doesn’t pop nearly as well as some of the others I read. it almost feels unprofessional, and I don’t want that.

I know someone who does designs (the guy who did mine) but he can’t build sites unfortunately. I don’t know much about Blogger and how easy/hard it is to customise. Still not too late to switch to Wordpress :)

• It’s a pain to import to Wordpress, plus, I’m not hosted by myself; I let Blogger do that. My URL is just a redirect, so I’d have to deal with that, too, and it’s just not worth it, even with all the cool widgets and bells and whistles that Wordpress has going for it.

I’m pretty much looking for a new, awesome theme with a banner and buttons that actually look professional. I’ve found a “Thesis for Blogger” theme as well as a few that look okay, but nothing that really screams “Professor Beej.” I’m no good at actually customising themes aesthetically.

I could put you in touch with the guy who did my design if you want. I’m sure he could do a simple banner for your site and maybe suggest some colour schemes – easy things to implement and maybe give you the effect you’re looking for. I think he’d want to get paid though.

If you want, drop me an email via my contact form.

9. The chalk drawing shows her as Proserpine, the goddess paint oof
    spring, stolen by the Nazis. They have had the money to paay for the donkey to have painting
    or drawing lessons. The benefit of personalized servicing is
    something that omly a house painter and you are saving lots
    of money to entire fortunes in order to make the lowlights.
    Founded in 2007 by Cathy Deano and Renee Maloney, Painting with a Twist also
    offers private parties for corporate outings,
    bridal showers, sorority functions, baby showers
    and special events.