Champions Online vs Batman: Arkham Asylum

Miscellaneous superheros vs Batman, who would win? For me… Batman. Yup, this means I’ve officially cancelled my Champions Online pre-order and decided to buy Batman: Arkham Asylum for my PS3 instead.

My decision wasn’t really based on anything negative towards Champions Online (I’ve no doubt that I’ll probably pick it up one day) and, as I as said yesterday, I don’t have a problem buying a MMORPG even to only play it for a month. I still feel like that’s decent value for money and I don’t necessarily need to expect them to last me for several months or years (ironically, I bet I’ll complete Arkham Asylum and be finished with it within two weeks).

Ultimately my decision was based on time and finances. Take a handful of MMO subscriptions (EVE Online, WoW and EQ2), add a dash of upcoming games that I’m definitely going to purchase (Aion and Marvel Alliance 2), stir in the fact that I’ll be moving apartment soon and sprinkle on the intensive sexual demands of my lovely wife and you’ve got a recipe for an expensive busy beaver cake. At the end of the day, Champions Online just didn’t excite me enough to cut it as one of the ingredients.

Don’t take this to necessarily mean that I think Champions Online is bad – I really haven’t played it enough to comment – but just take it to mean that it’s not got me pumped up enough to choose it over everything else. Had it not been competing with Aion and a couple of PS3 games in September, I most likely would’ve bought it. Goes to show that timing is so very important when it comes to release date of a video game. Plus, Arkham Asylum looks absolutely shit hot.

1. Champions Online – I Feel Heroic Just Patching It
  2. Champions Online To Integrate With Twitter
  3. 2009 – A Bad Year For MMOs?
  4. DC Universe Online – Looking Good
  5. World of Warcraft Is A Lot Like Cake

That description of Arkham Asylum sounds rather biologically… uncomfortable.

2. Keen says:

Great choice. Arkham Asylum is a fantastic game. Graev is going to get our copy tonight at midnight.

It doesn’t come out here in the UK until Friday so I gotta wait. For some reason all video games *have* to be released on a Friday here. It’s so bizarre! Oh well. Really looking forward to it – got great reviews.

3. Hudson says:

Now save money for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 and you won’t need Champions evAR!

Hehe. I’m definitely looking forward to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. I loved the original and the X-Men games it was based on. They’re the perfect mesh of Diablo-style hack ‘n slash and comic love. Kinda makes me skeptical about the DCU MMO because the whole point of the comic universe is playing AS the characters, not along side them.

4. Duane says:

Oh, you can’t possibly NOT want to pick up Huxley? >.>

5. Andrew says:

Stupid staggered release dates. Why can’t the PC version of Batman come out at the same time as the XBox one? Asshats.

6. I’m passing on Arkham Asylum myself to save money, but if you could write an impressions article, I’ll live vicariously through you. :)

7. SuperBlackThorn says:

ok well i just see this ya got rid ya pre-order ok bit silly for batman its a gr8 game as i playing it but well why not just get both as thay rock

8. aion kinah says:

That’s a good choice Gordon, I’ve read good reviews for Batman: Arkham Asylum and it’s really hot and to add, Amazon is giving away $10 video game credit when you order through their site but you have to take note that it’s for a limited time only. Isn’t a great deal? By the way, you can participate in the Aion’s Pre-Select and Headstart programs by pre-ordering the game through several participating online and brick-and-mortar retailers. Oh I’m sooo excited, there’s a lot of games in town ;D

I’m just gonna buy Arkham Asylum in the shops. The problem in the UK is that all games are released on a Friday and because our postal service sucks and I get everything sent to my work, if I miss it on the a Friday I have to wait until the Monday to get it :(

9. Brian says:

I bought both and am enjoying them, but if you’re just going to buy one, Arkham Asylum is easily the better choice. While I’ll probably be playing Champions for far longer, Arkham Asylum is a fantastic, must-not-miss experience.

I’m really enjoying Arkham Asylum – it’s a ton of fun and I love being able to play as Batman and against the classic villian. I may well pick up Champions Online some day, just probably not until I’ve tired of Aion.

10. Lynnette Gbur says:

I really enjoyed reading this article. It gave me a lot to think about for my site. Thanks!