What MMORPG Should I Uninstall?

I’m steadily running out of hard disk space and thinking about removing a MMORPG to free some up. Apart from Sins of a Solar Empire and a few small applications, MMOs are pretty much all I have installed on my PC. When I bought it last year I thought a 250GB drive would be plenty but apparently I underestimated MMO developer’s capacity for gobbling up those bytes. The worst offender by far is Age of Conan which takes us a whopping 28.3GB although Aion and World of Warcraft are still also 14GB each. Whatever happened to games coming on 5 floppy disks? Ah those were the days.

Anyway, I’ve certainly got a few MMOs installed, as can be witnessed by the screenshot of my desktop below. The funky wallpaper is from Marvel.com in case you’re wondering.

My Desktop

My Desktop

The two main reasons that I’m pretty slack at uninstalling MMOs is that firstly, I never know when I’m going to get a hankering to resubscribe to one and secondly, they are such an utter pain to reinstall and patch.

What MMORPG Should I Uninstall?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

1. Guild Wars 2 vs Patch 5.0.4 – Which To Play?
  2. Torchlight MMO
  3. 2010 MMORPG Predictions
  4. Do Console MMORPGs Work?

1. Theresa says:

I would say AoC, first and foremost. Game was great until lvl 20. LOL But, if all else fails; the games that you do not have a current subscription to, you can put on a portable hard drive. That way, if you do get a “hankerin’”, you can always just dump it back on to your comp.

Yeah, I think AoC is looking like the prime candidate. I could really do with clearing up that huge 28GB of space it takes up too. Of course I’m dreading ever having to re-install and patch it again!

I wonder how big it will be after the expansion. Any guesses? 40GB?

2. xXJayeDuBXx says:

I just want it know that I don’t advocate the uninstalling of Age of Conan!

But seriously I say WAR.

3. Stabs says:

I suspect psychologically you’ve listed the games in preference order.

If we discount the 2 very recent games and WoW it comes down to Lotro, War, AoC, Eve and EQ2.

Eve is such a different experience that unless you conclude that you hate it already you may as well leave it on.

The other 4 are all fairly similar in that you level to max then do end-game. I’m going to assume that if you are asking this question then you aren’t likely to max out so it’s really all about the levelling.

AoC has the best levelling to 20 then by far the worst. Even as a lifelong Howard fan I didn’t enjoy the story of the quests in the post-Tortage areas. They seemed very trite – if there’s one thing Howard is weak on it’s originality of plot. He writes the Kill the Evil Wizard story brilliantly but when you base game quests on his style you keep the triteness while losing the exciting writing style. On the other hand they occasionally send us play for a week for free deals which you will have to miss out on. (since if you uninstall it takes about a week to re-download).

EQ2 I have a soft spot for. I played it for about 4 months when it released and have been back a few times. I like it more than the other dikumuds for reasons I find hard to express.

Warhammer is the most dip-into-able. If they give you a free week you’ll have a great week running around with your Slayer mincing people in scenarios. Very good game to leave on there if you might get a play for free deal. One week of free WAR every 6 months is probably about as much as most people would want to play but it will be a fun week.

Lotro I recently re-tried and found it very turgid and unexciting. The game just doesn’t grab me. Most other bloggers seem to really like it so you should probably go with AOC as the one to cut unless you feel the same way.

Wow, I feel like I’ve just been physco-analyzed! :) Yeah, it’s quite possible that I’ve arranged the icons on my desktop in order of preference. Never thought about it before :)

Your logical is very sound and hard to argue with. I think AoC is for the chop…

4. Sven says:

Dude, that 30gb for AoC is hard to justify if you’re not all in. At least it was for me.

Good luck!

Also, the new female Loki is uncomfortably awesome.

5. SsandmanN says:

Funny thing, if you asked me to sort those games in order of importance, the list would come out exactly like the poll results :)
    So I say – AoC.

BTW if you ever wanna do a multiplayer on “Sins of a Solar Empire”, I would be up for it :)
    Fan of this strategy game for a long time, though I’m not too good, so no worries :)

Apart fromthat – buy an additional hard drive! :)
    I used to have a 500 GB, but I filled it quickly so about 6 months ago I bought another 500… guess what, right now I’m considering buying a third one :)

I think a 2nd HD is a pretty good idea. I’ll check the prices for a 500GB one… hopefully they are nice and cheap now :) Plus SATA drives are meant to be easy to install – no dicking around with jumper drivers like in the old days.

6. Duane says:

I’d like to cast my vote for Age of Conan.
    But you’re probably going to need another HD As well. It’ll be inevitable that a new MMO Will come along (One with zombies?), and honestly, I wouldn’t miss out on the future to keep hold of the past.

7. billyandrews says:

That’s a tough question if you’re enjoying all of them! But how can you really choose? I’ve come across this article and it made my decision easier. Check this out: http://www.articlesxarticles.com/internet/choosing-the-right-mmo-for-you.html