Dragon Age: Origins – PC vs PS3

For some reason when Dragon Age: Origins came out I got it into my head that I wanted the PS3 version instead of the PC one and even ended up waiting two weeks to get it (for some reason the PS3 version was delayed in the UK). I think at the time I thought I’d rather play it on my TV and be able to trade it back into the store I bought it from when I was finished with it. Unfortunately the control system on the PS3 proved to be so utterly terrible that I never really got into the game and only scratched the surface of it.

Last weekend I decided to take Dragon Age back up to the shops and trade it in (most shops in the UK will buy back console games for a reduced price once you’re done with them). Although a little hesitant, I saw that the PC version of it was on sale for coincidentally the same amount as I had received from the PS3 exchange. Fate was calling me and I just had to answer. I bought the PC version and boy, oh boy… is it so much better.

I’m absolutely loving Dragon Age now and playing through it quite steadily on my PC. The user-interface is so much more friendly and I barely notice it, let alone having it obstruct me as it did on the PS3. Combat is also a heck of a lot easier and far less frustrating. Some games were just never designed to be released on consoles and DA:O is one of them.

Although I’m still dicking about a little bit in World of Warcraft, Dragon Age has taken up most of gaming time this week and will continue to do so for a little while longer. It’s actually very refreshing to play a SRPG after so many MMORPGs and I feel a connection with the story and NPCs that I never do in MMOs. Although it does feel kinda lonely at times (I keep instinctively looking for the chat window) and ultimately my in-game actions will die with my save game files, it’s kinda nice to be able to play through a predefined story and actually shape the world as I do it. Kill an NPC and they don’t respawn in 6 minutes, defeat a boss and he won’t be there the next time I return to the same spot.

Next on my conquest list: Fallout 3.

1. Dragon Age: Origins. Done.
  2. Dragon Age PS3 – First Impressions

1. Roger says:

Nice. I’ve been very curious about the gameplay on the console vs the PC, as I thought for certain that it must be very clunky (especially in combat).

Combat with the PC is so fluid and simple, especially when pausing often to set the movement and attacks of your team.

I also have Fallout 3 on PC and console (there was a great sale), however truth be told, I have only played it on the PC. The PS3 version is still shrink-wrapped.

Roger

The PC version of Dragon Age is so so so much better than on the PS3. The graphics are a bit better but for me the biggest improvement is the UI. I found it almost impossible to control on the controller. It’s the first game that I’ve ever really played where it’s been a problem for me. Even Oblivion on the PS3 was fine.

Should I get Fallout 3 for the PC or PS3?

2. Scott M. says:

I’m seriously considering gifting my 360 version and plunking down the cash for the PC version. The tactical combat in the console version is so cumbersome and frustrating I haven’t picked up the controller for weeks — and I really want to continue playing.

3. xXJayeDuBXx says:

Dragon Age and then Fallout 3, nice! Just don’t expect to have a lot of time left for anything else.

4. Jackie says:

I never really had a problem with the PS3 version. I’ve had PC versions of PS3 games and actually had a problem playing the PC version. I’ve actually felt more comfortable playing the PS3 version.. I think having smaller hands (being a girl and all :>) doesn’t really make handling the controller much of a problem.

I’ve never had a problem with the controls of any PS3 game before… even games like Oblivion were fine for me. I dunno why these ones bothered me so much as they did. It’s a shame you can’t use a mouse and keyboard to control it on the PS3.

5. Great, just great. Just as all the other blogs were dying down about that game, now I’m gonna load up my RSS reader and see all the “OMG OMG OMG guess what happened to the elves!” posts on your blog. *sign*

Er, I mean, Merry Christmas, Gordon. :)

6. I got Dragon Age for Xbox360 from my parents tonight. I’m going to finish up FFX-2 and then dig into it, I think. I’m glad to see it’s been getting such high marks.

7. Craig says:

No problems with the PS3 controller here. 44 hours in. I played Kotor 1 & 2, Jade Empire and Mass Effect on consoles which is probably why I find it easy.

I haven’t played Neverwinter Nights 1 and I couldn’t get used to the controls in NN2 on the PC so I guess I have the opposite problem to you :)