Samsung Monitor Lust

Ever since we got some new 22″ and 24″ widescreen Samsung monitors at work I’ve been fantasizing about getting one for my home PC. I can’t really afford one and gosh knows I don’t technically need one (as my wife keeps reminding me) but the other week I came to the conclusion that I just can’t live without one. I don’t know how or why this fixation suddenly occurs but I name it the “Call of the Geek” and I react to it like a canine hearing a dog whistle.

Suffering is desire. Desire is Samsung.

Suffering is desire. Desire is Samsung.

Acquiring new bits of technology reminds me a lot of the drive behind MMORPGs. There seems to be a little bit in our brain that tells us that if we get another item or another upgrade then our lives will be easier, faster and more efficient. Perhaps it some sort of subconscious Nietzsche desire to become supreme beings and reach a state of utter perfection but it seems to really stir us onward in everything we do, and I feel particularly affected by it being a geek and gamer. I’m sure psychologists have a clever name and reasoning behind why we behave like this but all I know is that Samsung monitors are black and shiny and I want one.

The big problem is that there seem to be so many different models of widescreen monitors out there and I have no idea which one to pick. The P2250 or the P2270 or the SM2233RZ or the SM2333SW? Who would’ve thought picking a widescreen monitor would be so difficult? And that’s just from one brand. Plus I have no idea about what to look for in terms of specification. I know I want a resolution of 1920 x 1080 and nothing less but that’s about as far as my knowledge goes. Anyone got any advice?

Of course, I’m also open to suggestions for recommendations on any widescreen monitor, it doesn’t have to be Samsung (they do look very sexy though). I briefly considered Dell but dismissed them due to price and I always considered other brands like Acer to be a bit shoddy.

All of this does really remind me though of the four noble truths of the Buddha. For all of those non-Buddhists out there, let me summarise: suffering is desire. Pretty apt in this case huh?

1. What Laptop Should I Get?
  2. My Glorious Return To EVE Online
  3. My Desk At Work

1. JC says:

Are you really sure you wouldn’t rather just have on of these?

2. Angry Gamer says:

I currently use the Samsung 2232 BW and its been great!

3. vagueness says:

Just bought a Samsung 2333SW off Amazon, picked that model mainly due to price. Samsung aren’t doing themselves any favours with 10 slightly different variations on basically the same monitor.

4. Leokull says:

Get yourself an Asus VH226H monitor. Full HD at only £190 and it’s 1980 x 1080. I’ve got one and now I want two!

5. amcl says:

just hook your computer up to your TV. It’s a Samsung :-)

6. Nelson says:

Don’t forget to buy *two* monitors. Or recycle your old one as a second screen. Once you start playing MMOs with two monitors you’ll never go back. WoW questing on one screen with Wowhead on the other? Eve mining on one screen with Youtube keeping you company on the other screen? Yes please. (Dell traditionally makes fantastic LCDs).

7. Peter says:

I have a SM245BW at work and I love it. I can totally understand why you would want to get a Samsung monitor. Personally I would want to go for Alienware’s wrap-around monitor just don’t have that much cash to burn and my desk couldn’t hold it.

8. Ferrel says:

I’d go x12xx instead of x1080. 1080 is more of a television resolution and you’ll do a bit better with the x12xx. Not that the 1080 is bad mind you. I picked up one of the Samsung 24″ 1920×1080 molds on Newegg’s black friday deals and it has been wonderful.

I highly recommend it to be honest! More screen real estate than you can possibly look at… except… if you had two…

9. Fremskritt says:

Samsung is a great choice, I’ve had at least three different models from them, and I’ve been happy with them all.

I would say go for one that offers the resolution you want and you like the looks of. If price is an issue you should do well with a cheaper model as well.

10. Anakh says:

Wow I would love to have anything like that at work! I have to suffer with a crummy 9 year old faded CRT monitor at work. At least I have the two 19″ widescreen LCDs at home.

11. You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be actually something that I think I would never understand.
    It seems too complex and very broad for me.
    I am looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!