The Best Of The Rest: Opium Edition

It’s that time of the week again where I slack off from blogging and instead highlight some of the mostly MMORPG related wonders of the web from the past week. Yep, I know what you’re thinking – getting listed here is like winning an Oscar, only better right? Damn straight.

So there’s my hodge-podge pick of the week or, at least, what I can remember of it. I spent most of last week in an opium daze. I kid. It was more of a malaise than a daze.

1. The Best Of The Rest: No Drama Edition
  2. The Best Of The Rest: Nazism Edition
  3. The Best Of The Rest: Dick O’Clock Edition
  4. The Best Of The Rest: If You Buy Gold You Are Evil, Fact Edition
  5. The Best Of The Rest: Smack The Pony Edition

Syncaine has a particular and peculiar vendetta against the microtransaction model, but he’s right, this is not good PR for the model. It *can* be done right, but that’s… just not it.

I know it can be done right… I just keep thinking that pure human greed will always win over. The model just seems so easy to exploit! It’s sad I know and maybe I’m just being too cynical but can we ever trust humans to do it right?

• Tesh says:

I’d counter that *every blasted dev* who has used the sub model has included soul-sucking grinds to artificially extend sub time. It’s the same greed, manifested in a different way. There is no moral high ground between business models, only between different implementations.

Remember, these guys exist to make money. It’s not so much that we should trust that they have our best interests at heart (they never will), but that they don’t actively try to hurt us. That’s the beauty of “the invisible hand” of capitalism. Everyone acts in their own best interest, and those who can’t or won’t get to comfortable middle ground will find themselves out of business. (Or bailed out by Big Brother… but I digress…)

I agree that the free market of capitalism does, in some regards, sort itself out and that if people aren’t happy with something, they won’t buy it and that act in itself is some sort of enforcement. However, people aren’t always savy and sometimes will just follow the flock and buy anything (I know I did it with that buggery little Panda in WoW) and end up forking over cash for stuff they don’t really need or want. That’s the problem with the material life we all need and the fact that we are driven by the desire to acquire as to somehow give meaning to the unnatural lives we all lead now by sitting in front of computers 24 hours a day.

Geez… that ended up sounding really depressing :)

2. Stabs says:

I think doing it right consists of waiting for someone else to raise the bar, cope with the fallout and then imitate them.

Blizzard releasing pets for $10 really didn’t annoy people all that much because other companies had acclimatised the market to cash shop fluff.

That’s the way to do it.

Well, the Blizzard thing was also isolated because the pets were pure fluff and nothing more. Had they stuck on a mount or a bag or even a weapon, I’m sure the backdraft would’ve been tremendously negative.

• Tesh says:

Just wait… by the time Blizzard *does* something like that, players won’t care. Some purists will fuss, and some anti-WoW nuts will proclaim the end… again… but Blizzard will get away with it.

And make millions.