My Glorious Return To EVE Online

After being away for several months, I resubscribed to EVE Online yesterday to a glorious feeling. It’s hard to describe but after cutting down all of my subscriptions to only include World of Warcraft, hitting the reactivate button on the account website was akin to cracking open an icy cold beer, smoking a cigarette after a long day of work or driving through the Red Light District of Amsterdam and knowing that it’s OK to look. Especially after playing WoW, EVE feels like a proper game for adults with no holds barred.

I'm loving EVE on a widescreen monitor

I'm loving EVE on a widescreen monitor

Two things struck me immediately after logging in again though. Firstly, that I’d completely forgotten how to play the bloody game and secondly that I have no clue what I want to do in it.

Unlike most of the MMORPGs I play, EVE’s UI takes no prisoners and I’m finding I have to relearn it all again. It’s the interface equivalent of Clint Eastwood: tough and complicated, old school yet exciting, and with a deep intelligence and melancholy behind it all. I spent the first 30 minutes just figuring out what the heck every button does again, where my items and ships are stored, what I’m doing and how to do it. I still haven’t even begun to get my head around all of my skills again and what ones I should be learning. But I’m not in a rush this time round because EVE isn’t going anywhere and neither am I.

The second strange concept was figuring out exactly I want to do with my time. After mainly playing WoW and other themepark MMOs a lot recently it’s a real shock to the system to be faced with the prospect of both nothing and everything to do. I’m not being prodded in the direction of leveling upwards or being forced to follow linear quest lines which take me through progressive areas, instead I’m just left to my own devices to do whatever the hell I want. It’s both terrifying and exhilarating at the same time.

My original goals from July last year still stand and I think they’re a good place to pick up again. Working up the skills and ISK to buy the ships I desire until eventually hitting my prize, the Megathron, will keep me going for now. Short term goals are always a good thing and have given me an immediate sense of purpose. Long term ones are a little harder to come up with though. I still want to take over the entire Universe but (obviously) that’s going to take a little planning and a reasonable investment of time. It’s still on my to do list but I reckon I need to plan out my steps a carefully. Rome wasn’t build in a day after all so I can’t except the world of EVE to bend to my will overnight. That will take a few weeks at least.

I probably won’t be pumping hardcore hours into EVE (he says now) and my approach is to take it a slowly and just enjoy it. I want to catch up on my skills and goals, do a little mining and some missions to build up my capital, and get thoroughly stuck into PvP. I have a blood thirsty reputation to acquire, after all.

The first course of action is getting myself into a Corporation. Anyone got any recommendations? I’m a Caldari called Mantooth Jones, feel free to look me up.

1. My Goals In EVE Online
  2. The Urge To Return To EVE Online
  3. EVE Online: Dominion – Titan Nerf and Facebook Fun
  4. EVE Offline
  5. How To Rob A Bank In EVE Online

1. Josh says:

I can totally relate. I’m feel the exact same way each time that I resub for Eve.

2. krel says:

I stopped playing EVE in roughly July of 2008 – about 21 months ago. I resubbed my two accounts yesterday, so I know exactly how you feel. :) I think I’m going to create a new character and go through the tutorial…

3. The UI was always my biggest beef with the actual game. Open it to modders IMHO.

It’s more like an OS than a UI. It’s not bad once you get your head around it but I would like to see some modifications to it such as make the close icons bigger.

• krek says:

You know, that’s a good point. In a way, EVE is much more Star Trek than STO – that is, in STO you “fly” your spaceship by moving the mouse around, very arcade-ish. In EVE, you give commands.

“Orbit at 2500 meters.”

“Lock railguns on target designated Alpha one.”

“All guns to continuous fire.”

“All hands prepare to abandon ship.”

etc. :)

I suspect Captains Kirk, Picard, et al would be more at home commanding an EVE spacecraft…

I think the idea of truly flying a ship once it reaches a certain size goes out of the window. I mean, I can imagine people ‘flying’ fighter ships but not so much when it comes to capital ships.

• krek says:

Exactly. I don’t think there’s a ship in the Star Trek universe, including the shuttlecraft, that is fly-with-a-joystick friendly.

Battlestar Galactica, on the other hand… I hope JGE actually ends up getting released. I’ve been waiting for the MMO version of xwing or wing commander for a LONG time.

4. Pindleskin says:

I so want to start playing EVE, but as a South African with limited download capabilities and high latency, it just doesn’t seem worth the time and money to start, nevermind pay a subscription to try it out :(

5. Cupp221 says:

Welcome back! In my time with EVE (many years, off and on), it’s definitely all about what corporation you are in. Even something as mundane and boring as mining(!) can be made fun by hanging out in vent with some of your corpmates. The best thing to do is try to figure out what you like to do in the game, then find a corp that is based around that.

If you like making money, do missions and/or dabble into industry/manufacturing; if you like mining, I’m sorry; if you like PVP, get into a rifter or punisher and go to lowsec and get blown up about 20 times until you get the hang of it. Heck, you could be a ninja salvager and drive mission runners crazy for profit by stealing their salvage! EVE is truly a game of trial and error. Flying with people of similar interests definitely make it easier, and way more fun.

Hit me up ingame if you have any other questions or need some tips on some areas for doing different things: Cupp221

6. TK says:

If you find a good, fun corp let me know. I may be up for resubing one or 2 accounts. I was primarily a 0.0 pilot, but I am ready to enjoy the simple life of high sec…I think. I have a fever and the only perscription is EvE online!!

7. Gremrod says:

You sub again and just about three years in I am taking a very long break from EVE. I have grown tired of it and not liking the sov war tactics that dominion has brought to the game.

So I am out of EVE for sometime to come. Have fun Gordon and fly safe! o7

8. Gremrod says:

Oh and once you get into lvl 2 or 3 missions. Fit a separate destroyer with 4 tractor beams and 4 salvager’s for fast cleanup. If you are taking the dropped mods also fit it with cargo expanders.

Also with the new rig sizes find someone that will make you the salvaging rig or buy them off the market fit on your clean up destroyer!

The issue I’m having is earning enough cash to fit a ship to hit the level 2 or 3 missions. Right now I’m using my Cormie for both missions and salvaging. I really want to get a bigger ship, hit some tougher missions and then use the Cormie just as a salvage boat after I’ve cleaned them out.

9. Meclin says:

If your looking for some help, have a small population channel a few of us, mostly blogger types, use to chat. Also, I’m out in 0.0 and we are looking for pilots. No obligation if you join the channel; its unrelated to my corp :) Convo Meclin or Scipia Mortalis in game.

10. minecraft says:

Unquestionably imagine that which you stated. Your favourite justification seemed to be on the internet the simplest thing to be mindful of.

I say to you, I certainly get annoyed whilst other folks think about issues that they just do not understand about.
    You controlled to hit the nail upon the top and also defined
    out the entire thing with no need side-effects , folks could take
    a signal. Will likely be again to get more. Thank you