The Best Of The Rest: If You Buy Gold You Are Evil, Fact Edition
It was looking like a pretty drab week in the ol’ MMORPG blogosphere these past seven days until a couple of events reignited the whole “gold buying/account hacking” debate on Friday. And I use the term debate in it’s loosest sense as really it’s more a case of some bloggers grabbing their pitchforks and embarking on a mob mentality Witch hunt. The trial has concluded, the verdict is in, if you buy gold you are evil and deserve to burn in Hell. Strangely enough, the actual account hackers themselves seem to be getting sympathy rather than retribution. I suppose the whole thing is a lot like blaming smokers, stoners and crack-heads for all of the problems the manufacturing of their drug does. Which makes perfect sense as actually dealing with the root cause would require effort.
- Suzina of Kill Ten Rats confesses to buying 1,000 gold in World of Warcraft in order purchase the dual spec mechanic (am I the only one who questions why Blizzard put such a high price tag on a low-medium level ability?). I was actually more surprised by the fact she could squeeze in 120 hours of playtime in less than 14 days.
- Syncaine takes the moral high-ground and calls Suzina a “bad person”. Ironic considering he spends most of his posts trying to insult Tobold.
- Speaking of Tobold, he adds his level-headed persective to the situation.
- Spinks votes for a gambling license which seems like a sensible idea and could solve a lot of these problems.
- In an unfortunate coincidence, Gnomeaggedon had his account hacked and places the blame squarely on the shoulders of the gold buyers. Personally, I’d blame the hackers instead.
- Aptly enough, Problogger offers some tips on how to keep your blog secure.
- The wonderful Stargrace points out a hacking scam in Aion and discusses the different types of exploits.
- And on a completely unrelated point, Josh, the World’s Strongest Librarian, announces his first novel will be published and available for purchase on the 1st of April. I’m very much looking forward to reading it and am tremendously excited for him.
P.S. I don’t condone buying gold. I don’t condone account hacking. All I do know is that if hackers are truly targetting accounts for the sole purpose of stripping them bare and re-selling their cash, Gevlon must be shitting his pants.