I’ve Pre-Ordered Rise Of The Godslayer

conan_cary_nord

Painting before the brush was invented

Oh how impressionable I am. All it takes is Conan The Barbarian to be shown on TV and a pretty email in my inbox from Funcom about their new Age of Conan expansion to get me as excited as a spotty teenageer. Ah, how I missed hacking someone’s head off and then laughing down their stump of a neck. And who says violence warps people?

I’ve just pre-ordered Rise of the Godslayer from Amazon UK as they have it on sale for quite a reasonable £25.99/$40 and, as it contains the original game as well, not only does it mean that it will be easier to install but I can also just create a brand new account and claim my first month’s subscription free. Even though I played AoC for 3 months or so after it came out, I’m not very attached to any of my old characters so I’m happy enough banishing them to digital purgatory and starting afresh on a new server.

To be fair, I actually liked Age of Conan a lot when I first played it (being a big R.E. Howard fan I was hugely excited about it all) and enjoyed it a lot… well, at least the first 20 levels. Tortage was, and is, perhaps one of the best introductry areas to any MMORPG I’ve played and it’s just absolutely dripping with lore, atmosphere and immersion. Wandering around the jungle, slaughtering Picts in the most horrendous ways possibles whilst tracking down ancient Lovecraftian bat-demons was a truly engaging experience. The big problem with Conan was that the rest of the game, to put quite bluntly, utterly sucked.

Several of the classes were terribly rough and unfinished, the entire 20+ game was lacking content and there just plain wasn’t enough depth to keep me (and thousands of other players) interested for the long term. Still, I always believed that AoC had the foundations of a great game whilst the Conan IP, the developers demonstration via Tortage of what they can accomplish when given the right opportunity and Funcom’s reptuation of being able to necromance lagging MMOs all pointed that it could one day resurrect itself like a Tauren Shaman.

The one thing that I am finding incredibly baffling about Rise of the Godslayer though is the absolute lack of information about it. The official website is devoid of useful info and even people on the forums and other sites don’t know what classes the new Khitan race can be. Apparently it’s still all protected by the NDA, very strange considering the expansion comes out in two weeks. Still, maybe this air of mystery is a sign of Funcom’s confidence and, hopefully, a way of keeping the lid on some exciting features.

So this is me giving AoC a second chance and I hope it pays off. Combined with me signing up to WAR again with it’s endless trial, it looks like May could the month of the comeback MMOs.

-Gordon The Barbarian

1. MMORPG Expansions 2009/2010
  2. 2009 Predictions
  3. Tortage: Jewel of the Barachan Isles
  4. I Pre-Ordered Star Trek Online
  5. MMORPG: Rise Of The Yuppie

1. openedge1 says:

As I have stated on Twitter and my blog.

The two worst games of 2008 [WAR and AoC] are two of my most favorite MMO’s.

Who woulda thunk it?

I think I’m more excited about AoC than WAR but I’m still going to try both again (actually download the WAR trial right now). It’s the wonderful thing about MMOs, they can change so much over the course of time.

2. Stabs says:

Several of the classes were terribly rough and unfinished

– more or less fixed. Pug raids (which are common) take 2 of each class. That’s for loot reasons but it’s a sign that every class is just about worth a raid spot which is healthy.

the entire 20+ game was lacking content – I’m enjoying levelling up and there are some great quests. In what other game do you get sent to skin a German so someone can proudly hang the pelt on their wall? They’ve added a little new content and the expansion adds more. Unlike WoW which adds higher level stuff each time they’re expanding sideways which is a very sound decision.

- a lot of the broken things are much much better. I’m looking forward to sieges, taking someone else’s guild castle off them and building ours there instead. This was broken in 2008, now on my server (Crom EU) it works about 70% of the time, crashing before the siege finishes the rest of the time. Similar good but not quite there yet progress applies to other areas of the game (eg raiding, crafting). It’s both more interesting than and more broken than WoW but at least they’re no longer at the stage where you would have had to be crazy to play AoC rather than WoW.

mmmfff, mmmfff, NDA. I believe I can say that players are testing the closed beta right now but 2 weeks is unlikely.

I’m glad they’re expanding the content at all levels and not just at the level cap. The game really needed some more to do and more places to go. I did Sanctum of the Burning Souls so many times I amost went mad.

3. I don’t doubt that it’s still close under wraps. With the fiasco they had with their launch that you mention, I expect they’re keeping things close to the chest so they don’t have people overanalyzing this release as another failure.

4. River says:

I don’t know I might cave into going back to AOC, I really loved the necromance class, it was a true necromancer, with an army of minions.

5. Wow.
    Very brave of you. I bought the game on release and I didn’t even finish the “free” 30 days.

It didn’t give me any omg / epic feelings.

Funny how perspectives differ.
    I hated the early game. So very boxy, plain questing, pretty non-existent community (maybe that’s just my personality). Just aimless running from boxed zone to zone. And not to mention the button-mashing for melee classes. That really made me melt the game discs after two weeks :)

“Still, maybe this air of mystery is a sign of Funcom’s confidence and, hopefully, a way of keeping the lid on some exciting features.”

A very optimistic thought.
    Underpromise and overdeliver? A game studio?

6. Sharon says:

I must be equally as impressionable. A couple of days ago, I created a new AoC account so I could do the new trial thingy and give it another shot, even though I love EQ2 and really have no interest in another MMO at the moment.

The soundtrack is what got me. I put it on my mp3 player a couple of weeks ago, for something different when I’m out running, and every time I listen to it, I think,”Must… go… play… AoC….”

Funcom hit the mark with the ‘feel’ of Conan and it’s something that’s always appealed to me. The lore of the IP is so strong and different from anything else on the market it attracts me. Hopefully the expansion will be a good and a sign of AoC having a comeback.