Want To Get Into The Cataclysm Beta? Cancel Your Subscription

Worgen Druid

Worgens are dogs who can play Druids who can turn into cats. Freaky.

Regular readers will know that my brother, the MMO noob king, cancelled his WoW subscription the other week after 8 months of loyal play, citing his reason for leaving as being , I quote, “other players are immature assholes”. Yep, it appears that my fraternal friend had reached the limits of his patience with some of the less desirable elements of the Warcraft community and decided to pack it all in, giving Blizzard what for and voting with his wallet. Until, that is, a special little email wound its way into his inbox…

That’s right, two weeks before his account was due to expire Blizzard decide to invite my brother to partake in the Cataclysm beta. Lo and behold, a few rabid schoolboy emails to me later and he was logging into the world of Azeroth once again, this time as a Worgen Rogue (even though he swore he’d had enough of WoW for a good long time). Furthermore, seeing as one needs an active account to take part in the beta, he’s now contemplating re-subscribing solely to keep playing it.

Blizzard, you cunning bastards.

Of course this whole thing could just be one big coincidence or it could be a perfect ploy designed to keep unsubscribing players hooked into WoW for longer. I suppose there’s only one way to be sure which is to cancel my account and enter into a game of subscription chicken and see who breaks first. Tempting, very, very tempting.

Yet, I’m probably not going to do it. Not because I couldn’t live without WoW (in fact, I haven’t had much of a chance to play it recently what with my awesome busy social life and all) but actually because I don’t want to spoil the expansion for me. I’m trying to keep the whole thing somewhat sacred and fresh so I can indulge myself fully on release day and not feel like it’s just another day on the farm.

Not to say that I’m not slightly jealous of my bro – I am – and also kinda annoyed that now everytime he phones me I have to stick my fingers in my ears to avoid him blurting out horrendous spoilers all the time (I now know something quite dramatical about the Worgen starting experience which I’m not very happy about). But c’est la vie, I suppose.

If anyone does have the balls to cancel their account and see if they get an elusive beta invite afterwards please let me know and I’ll post the results.

1. Should I Cancel My EVE Online Subscription?
  2. Cataclysm First Impressions
  3. Breaking News: Cataclysm To Release In 2010
  4. WoW Pet Costs More Than My Monthly Subscription
  5. WoW Remote Auction House App Beta Impressions

1. koalabear says:

A former guildie of mine cancelled his account due to personal reasons and he got a beta invite.

At the time I didn’t think anything of it, now I am suspicious.

2. Hey, I’m with you, I don’t want to spoil the expansion for myself either, so why invite it. I have enough trouble dodging information on the internet already, and like you I’ve been sticking my fingers in my ears going LALALALALALA to avoid knowing too much :P

I’ve given in on a few screenshots and an article or two, but I’ve largely managed to force myself not to watch any videos or footage. Actually being able to play beta will just ruin it all.

I started reading a lot about it (especially the new talent system) but over the weeks I’ve tried to avoid it more and more. I’ll certainly be buying it so it’s not like I’m going to miss out on anything by waiting :)

My timing stinks, I guess. I canceled after my thirty days from the box a month and a half ago. I should have waited.

Or maybe I should have subbed for a month or two, then /ragequit. I certainly could come up with an earful for them. :P

4. Jomu says:

any interest in guild wars 2?

5. Kasul says:

Cancelled my sub a few weeks ago, no beta invite. I admit I don’t have any characters over 50 though, so perhaps not a good test.

6. Dril says:

I cancelled mine with three 80s on it…it ran out on August 22nd. I even cited Cata as the thing that would bring me back since I was burnt out.

No beta invite :P

7. Colerejuste says:

I haven’t cancelled my subscription, and got an invite somewhere near the start of the week. So that might debunk that one.

Did your brother have his beta flags set to yes?

Last night was the first night I was able to have a good go at it. I started with a Worgen Warlock, because I’ll be wanting to start a dogcat (more likely a dogbird) when it goes live. The plus side of not being in the beta is that you still get to play your current toons, if you’re not sick to death of them, and everything is shiney when it all gets released. When it goes live, the edge of wonder and awe will be slightly dulled.

8. Epiny says:

Mine has been inactive for about 4 months. If I got a beta invite I’d resubscribe…

9. Wolfshead says:

Nice article. I don’t doubt that Blizzard is using the beta as scheme to induce players to resubscribe.

The problem with Cataclysm beta invites is that I’m getting probably about 10 bogus phising email/invites from gold sellers. How does one tell a fake beta invite from a real one?

10. Hirvox says:

I cancelled my subscription about 3 weeks after release, and according to Google’s spam filter I’m averaging 2.1 beta invites per day.

11. amcl says:

I suspect that one reason for inviting me into the fab beta (oh, so good!) is that I’m a mac user and they want feedback/bug reports/core dumps of the game :) it’s a little flaky on the mac, I’m afraid to say.

But then… Maybe they wanted fresh feedback from non mmorps players :)

12. Syl says:

haha, that’s truly ironic! that said, I feel left out now – I did cancel my sub some while back and never got a beta invite, pfff…

13. I cancelled mine aswell but didnt got any inv yet.. is there any chance to play catalysm beta if u dont have invitation on your mail?

thanks..

14. Look at it this way Gordon, by the time Cataclysm is finally released your brother will be tired of the new expansion because he has done it all already. You on the other hand will be setting out in a fresh new world. Even though you aren’t in the beta (no one on the NPNM team is either but none of us have applied) it seems like you are in the better position in the long run.

Julie

15. Epiny says:

If you are getting scam emails to your b.net email you should set up 1 email account for battle.net and not use it for anything other than that.

I run 1 email for blogs/forums 1 for real life stuff and 1 for video game accounts.

16. Razer says:

Absolutely positively will work. So far 3 of us that i know of have used this method to gain the Beta invite.

17. [...] adds injury to insult is that Gordon at We Fly Spitfires recently reported that many WoW players who recently canceled their subscriptions have suddenly and inexplicably got [...]

18. korii says:

i canceled my account of 2 1/2 years, time ran out 9/11/10. On 9/14/10 I received the beta invite email and logged back into battle.net- sure enough its there. Copied a character and downloaded the client. Very clever ploy indeed.

19. korii says:

and yes I had previously opted in, and have 2 level 80 toons on the account

20. Baniam says:

I doubt canceling subscription would give you much luck, because if you don’t get invited, you account is gone if you wait too long. Anyway, I would still attempt getting a invite like this, with a free 14 day account.

21. Gazzy says:

*evil cackle* I cancelled my account at the end of May this year. APPARENTLY I’ve been opted into the beta since at least August. No telling, as an e-mail was never sent to me telling me I was in. I’ve played for 2 1/2 years now and my husband’s played for about 3 1/2. He’s SO mad that I didn’t check my account and discover this “until now, when the beta’s already about to close”.

Just wanted to let you know, the method worked for me though I didn’t know it =). BTW, the only way I could tell I’d been in since August was b/c on the 5th of August Blizz sent out an official e-mail to beta participants stating that a new client was available to be downloaded. I got that one.