The Best Of The Rest: Kindle Edition

Amazon Kindle 3

The Kindle. Great for storing 35,000 books. Not so great for reading in the bath.

As I’ve pretty much told everyone on the planet already, I got the new Amazon Kindle last week and I’m incredibly thrilled with it. Ever since I had to lug around the megalithic Under The Dome Stephen King hardcover last year I’ve been obsessed with getting an eReader but unfortunately had to dismiss the notion completely because the availability of ebooks in the UK was so poor. And by poor I mean we had like five books available to buy, all of them Harry Potter (and, having attended a British Potter-esque private school myself, I’d rather eat my own vomit then read the books).

However, a  couple of months ago my prayers were answered when Amazon not only announced the release of their latest Kindle in the UK but also their complete US ebook collection. Finally, almost all of my favourite authors were available in ebook format so I pre-ordered a Kindle immediately. Eight weeks later and I’m reading more than I’ve done for years and loving every minute of it.

But enough about me. Time to highlight the best of the blogosphere from the last seven days:

1. The Best Of The Rest: Opium Edition
  2. The Best Of The Rest: Why’d You Have To Go And Declare Independence Edition
  3. The Best Of The Rest: The Good, The Bad And The Cockney Edition
  4. The Best Of The Rest: Minor Makeover Edition
  5. The Best Of The Rest: Hangover Edition

1. Congrats! I’ve been using the Kindle app on my iPad for a while, but I bought a Kindle for my boyfriend a couple months ago. He’s not let it out of his sight since then.

Thanks! Yeah, it’s a pretty great device and an aspect that I find thrilling is how it really just seems like the begining of a revolution. Hopefully it won’t be long before we see colour eReaders come out and a lot more variety in what we can read on them.

2. Ysharros says:

Eh, not entirely fair. I just didn’t like the character art, it’s too cutsey. But it’s Final Fantasy, I wasn’t really expecting anything else.

I’m just grumpy when I haven’t had enough coffee. :D

3. Anakh says:

Congrats on the Kindle – I had a Sony eReader and really enjoyed it, and now I have Apple/Kindle/Nook iPad apps and really enjoy them. Good stuff!

4. Enlynn says:

I’ve read you can take your Kindle to the bath if you first slip it into a freezer bag, that you can still hit the buttons through the plastic. That’s my plan, anyways, when I get one!

5. Jomu says:

heh; great to hear there is more reading being done ;)
    what do you like best about it? i was thinking of getting one for my gf

The screen is amazing. I mean really amazing and easily puts the iPad to shame. I know a lot of people say that there’s no point in getting a Kindle when an iPad can run the same app yet do so much more but they don’t realise that for reading, and reading alone, the Kindle is far superior due to it’s screen, size and battery life. These things will run for a month on a single charge! :) The selection of books is also very good now plus it’s incredibly easy to buy new books or transfer PDFs/docs over to it. You don’t even need to hook it up to a computer, you just email the file to your Kindle and it will appear on it a few mins later :)