LOTRO F2P Delayed In Europe

LOTRO - man vs troll

He's going to need a bigger sword

Today is the day Lord Of the Rings Online goes free to play around the world… or rather part of it. I rushed home from work all excited to get back into Gondor and tickle some Hobbits (or whatever it is people do with Hobbits) only to boot up the patcher and find a rather disappointing little message waiting for me:

“Given the complexities and challenges faced in the preparation and implementation of the new store to work within our infrastructure, we feel more time is needed to deliver the high level of service our players have quite rightly come to expect. As a result, we have decided to delay launch to ensure that we can support the massive increase in players that we are anticipating and deliver them a Free to Play experience like none other.”

Mike Rowland, Producer of LOTRO

Europe gets shafted again.

OK, maybe that’s a little harsh but it is incredibly frustrating to frequently be on the receiving end of delays, set-backs and problems just because one happens to live on the same continent as the creator of the croissant. I had high hopes for LotRO, especially as DDO Unlimited never materialised in Europe, and am disappointed to see this delay happening now, particularly as we had no prior warning about it and there’s absolutely no information about a new release date. /sadface

Well, I suppose chin up and all that, chums. At the end of the day delivering a smooth launch is probably going to be more benefical to the long term success of the game and I would rather it go well than be a complete balls up and put me off the game forever. Anyway, if I’m honest, I’m seriously considering just forking out for a months subscription so I can play the darn thing rather than wait goodness knows how long before F2P finally launches in Europe. A more cynical man than myself might suggest that’s what Turbine are hoping for but, well, I’m not a cynic so I won’t.

1. LOTRO F2P Launches In Europe On Tuesday
  2. LOTRO F2P Beta Finally Coming To Europe
  3. LotRO Welcome Back Week
  4. DC Universe Online Delayed. Cataclysm Claims First Victim.
  5. Lifetime Subscriptions – Waste Of Money?

I would not have got early access anyways, so I would not have been able to play before Friday/10th.

The renegade American colonists who refused to pay their taxes to the crown for over 200 years finally try to make up by playing the beta testers for us Euros. There are some issues with the shop and early quests in the Enedwaith.
    I guess we will get LOTRO EU F2P a few days after the first patches. This is how it worked so far, Codemasters / LOTRO Europe was always 1-3 days behind LOTRO US.

Take it this way: the American Commoner is doing the testing for the European Nobility.

2. Stabs says:

Can’t you just play the US version like everyone does for DDO f2p?

3. Nils says:

What do you intend to safe? Some $15 ?
    For how many hours ?
    For what $/hour rate ?

Go, buy that damn sub for one month if you want to play that game. It’s not like a typical MMO sub were expensive: It is one of the least expensive free time activities around.

4. Cozy says:

Hi,

Having had both EU DDO Stormreach and US DDO Unlimited on my desktop, whilst I don’t know if you can patch your EU version to work in the US, you can have both versions available on your PC at once with no issues, I suspect.

I did find a page in a forum somewhere when I was trying to decide which version I wanted to play that suggested that you could change some variables and have one version work as the other for LotRO, but I don’t think I could find it again, sadly.

Good luck!

I’m trying to avoid installing the Panda Media Booster thingy that apparently wrecks your Interweb which is why I reinstalled the game from disc. I’ll see if I can find a way of switching versions which would be ideal as I don’t need to download or install anything more.

5. Dril says:

As per usual the “mainstream” gaming journalists who get paid only mentioned it in passing. Methinks the problem is twofold: companies fail Europe (and Oceania) and Europe (and Oceania) simply do not do enough to make them rethink their American-centric ideas. Then again every scandal I can think of we just shrug of in Europe as “meh, shit happens.” There’s these, combined with the fact that a significant proportion of English-speaking bloggers are American, and it just means that it rarely every gets covered or examined in great detail.

Oh well. Shit happens.

I have been very surprised how little press and attention this new has gotten actually. Very strange. Maybe a sign of the lack of popularity of LotRO in Europe?

• Longasc says:

Did not Turbine charge Atari for not promoting DDO well enough in Europe?

I do not want to point with the finger at someone, but LOTRO never got much if any promotion in Europe. But there were and are always tons of Lord of the Rings copies in department stores for sale.

It seemed to be available enough in shops and I did see an advert on TV for it when LOTRO first came out but I never got the impression that it was very popular in Europe. I don’t think it helps when local distributers like Codemaster seem to be quite ineffectual.

6. What i do not realize is actually how you’re not really much more neatly-preferred than you might be right now. You are very intelligent. You understand therefore considerably when it comes to this matter, made me in my view imagine it from a lot of various angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to
    be interested until it’s one thing to do with Lady gaga! Your individual stuffs nice. All the time maintain it up!