Breaking News: Cataclysm To Release In 2010

Cataclysm - Worgen Background

Cataclysm will release in December. I think I just heard Bobby Kotick wet himself.

So yeah, Cataclysm has an official release date of 7th December… 2010. Crazy, I know. I’m actually still in mild shock at the hearing the news that it’s going to come out this year as I half expecting it to be delayed into 2011 after living through what has to probably be the longest beta in the history of mankind. I don’t even think those scientists beta test the microchips used in nuclear warheads that much. I feel like a proud dad getting ready to witness the largest MMO birth yet. Breathe in… 1 2 3… and breathe out.

Unfortunately my predicted release date of 11th November 2010 isn’t going to happen (would’ve been pretty awesome if I’d been right) but at least it wasn’t off by that much as some folk were talking about Spring and Summer 2010. That may seem silly now in hindsight but considering the expansion was announced over a year ago it didn’t seem that far fetched at the time. In fact, by the time Cataclysm comes out it will have been close to 17 months since it was first announced. That’s a heck of a lot of hype time.

In their usual stealthy humour it also seems like Blizzard have been waving the release date in front of our faces for some time now. Wowhead reports that back in August the Azeroth Bulletin reported that the chances of a cataclysmic event taking place in the future was less than 12.7%. 12.7… get it? Those cunning bastards.

And yes, I have already pre-ordered it. I know I like to poke fun at Blizzard and WoW (who doesn’t?) but I am genuinely looking forward to playing Cataclysm, especially since I’ll be coming to it completely fresh without having played the beta plus, considering the built up anticipation and proximity to Christmas, there can’t be any doubt that its going to sell like a mothertrucker and possibly become hard to obtain (I don’t think Blizzard are doing a digital download are they?).

Still, I’m happy enough with a December release date and I get a week’s holiday over the festive period so this will fit in nicely. Better tell the wife I’m going to be busy on Christmas day.

1. World of Warcraft: Cataclysm Release Date
  2. Star Trek Online Official Release Date
  3. Cataclysm And Its Virtual Chastity Belt
  4. Europeans Get Early Access To Cataclysm
  5. DC Universe Online Delayed. Cataclysm Claims First Victim.

1. amcl says:

was just about to send you the link too! :)

2. amcl says:

“Better tell the wife I’m going to be busy on Christmas day”

… mine sighed when I told her the release date and that my Christmas holidays are now sorted :)

3. Yes, finally! And I was just asking my husband today while I was watching him play WoW how he could still find motivation to play knowing the expansion was just over the horizon. I always had a feeling that it was going to make the 2010 release date, but it’s still nice to know now for sure. Hope early December won’t be too cold, I’m probably going to head on out to brave the lines at a midnight release. It’s not like I can’t wait the extra day, but doing that has become like a tradition now with us.

4. Pitrelli says:

You will really need to roll some horde toons on Deathwing EU (PvP) :)

5. Carson says:

Yep, I was one of the “miles off” predictions. I was picking July-August, on the grounds that they would aim for an 18 month expansion cycle, and then fail to meet it, delivering a couple of months later than planned. Oh well, good to finally have a date!

6. Dyre42 says:

Nice to have a date finally. I had guessed the release date to be Nov 30th so while I wasn’t too far off I didn’t win the pool. :(

7. best mmorpg says:

yeah! :) waiting for 7th of dec. already 1 year my account is frozen but i think i gonna play again this great game. i miss my mage and lock :(

8. Larísa says:

I actually think they ARE going to do digital download so I’m pondering on if this method is to be trusted, if I can skip going through the midnight queuing this time.

Apparently the digital download doesn’t go on sale until the day of release though… no idea how long it would take to download either. I’ve had some bad experiences with digital downloads on other games before and they ended up taking forever. Saying that, I’m sure Blizzard have already anticipated the chaos the launch is going to cause and got things in place to keep the download coming in smoothly :)

9. Irving says:

Finally! Thanks to Blizzard!

10. leah says:

I’m pretty sure I’m going with download version. I bought the rest of the games on CD, but when I had to reinstall them on a new computer….for some very strange reason, CD’s refused to work properly, so I ended up downloading the game anyways. might as well be consistent, especially since it will save me much headache..unless of course some local shop is going to be running a nice sale :P hope springs eternal

11. Carson says:

I’ll be interested to see if the digital download is (a) available release day and (b) available to Australia customers. With the $A being so strong compared to the $US at the moment,paying $US39.99 to download would be a big saving compared to Aussie retail (I think the RRP is $A60.00)

12. Andrew says:

Its a streaming client so you dont have to download it all at once :)