The Best Of The Rest: Halloween Edition
Halloween happens to be a particularly uninteresting holiday here in the UK and passes by mainly unnoticed except for all of the Simpson Halloween specials that get aired on TV and a few laughs to be had at the expense of crazy drunk people in bizarre costumes. Trick-or-treating is non-existent as I suspect, just like I do, most people hide from any trick-or-treaters that happen by and won’t answer the door to them. It’s all very odd considering Wikipedia describes Halloween as annual holiday specifically observed in Scotland. Uh huh. Fact: The one and only time I ever had trick-or-treaters the kids asked for money instead of sweets. Little bastards.
Anyway, if that intro paragraph hasn’t completely killed your holiday spirit, happy Halloween everyone!
- MMO Gamer Chick is enjoying the Halloween events in MMOs. I adore MMO Gamer Chick’s indomitable spirit and outlook on MMOs and her enjoyment of this year’s Halloween events is utterly contagious. I almost felt myself warming up to the idea of it all and, if I wasn’t such a Scrooge who deplores real life holidays being mirrored in MMOs, I might’ve gotten into the spirit of it myself.
- Psynister writes a level 1 – 29 Paladin Retribution leveling guide. It’s hard to ignore this excellent guide from Psynister and hats off to the chap for the sheer amount of time and effort that went into creating the thing. It’s particularly well timed and useful for me considering I’m starting a Paladin alt in WoW to tide me over before the release of Cataclysm.
- Spinks ponders the end of the PC retail market. When I first saw the title of Spink’s article poke its head up on my RSS reader I was shaking my head in disagreement but then later that night I found myself cancelling my pre-ordered retail box version of Cataclysm and buying a digital copy direct from Blizzard themselves. Although I think the digital future of games is going to depend heavily on download speeds, pre-downloading before launch and overal download reliability, I think Spinks is definitely on the money with this call. Kinda sad in a nostalgic sort of way, I know, but that’s progress for you.
- Stargrace has an article on LOTRO F2P vs EQ2X. This is a great article which really sums up a lot of the issues I’ve had with the Free-2-Player version of Everquest 2 and why I think the Lord of the Rings Online’s version is far superior. It’s well timed too considering LOTRO F2P launches here in Europe on Tuesday and pretty much encapsulates why I’ll be checking it out yet am ignoring EQ2X.
- And finally, Tipa rounds up lots of Halloween events from around the MMOverse. It’s Halloween – how could I have not included this wonderful article?