500th Post

500

500. 2.5 x my height in cm, 16.6 x my shoe size in inches and one day my weight in lbs.

I had a pleasant little surprise today when I logged into my blog and discovered that I’ve now made 500 blog posts (making this the 501st). Now I’m not one to let inconsequential milestones slip me by so I figured it was worth announcing and celebrating. Huzzah to me!!

500 may seem like a vast number to some and yet, to others, a very small one. Blogs – any blog, not just MMO ones – all have a huge variety of publishing schedules and some bloggers post several times a day and some only once or twice a month. Ultimately it is just a number and nothing more and, regardless of anything, I suppose it’s quality that really matters and not the quantity.

Still, hitting the big five zero zero mark has a lot of personal meaning to me and is a great landmark in my life. See, I’m one of those guys who gets excited by things quite easily, invests a ton of time (and sometimes money) saturating myself with everything related I can get my hands on, soaking it all up like a sponge, and then losing all interest in the subject a few weeks or months later.

Here’s a great example for you. Last January I watched Wall Street on blu-ray and then the next day went out and bought three books on trading. I scoured the Internet for weeks, soaked up everything I could and even started saving so I could open up a trading account with my bank. Of course I never did and now all of those books are just sitting on my bookshelf gathering dust and my wife no longer freaks out every time I make a casual remark about our savings account and things we could do with the money.

So the number 500 may not have have a lot of meaning in itself but it signifies something huge to me personally – I can stick at things when I really want to. It shows me that if I put my mind to something and am determined enough, I can achieve anything I want. It tells me that the reason I’m not a gazillionaire Wall Street trader is not because I lack the skill or aptitude (Gordon Gecko – same first name. Coincidence? I think not) but rather I just didn’t take it seriously enough to ever try.

We can do anything we want, all we have to do is never stop trying.

1. My 300th Blog Post
  2. This Is Not A MMORPG Post
  3. The Horror!! (Guest Post)
  4. This Is Not A MMORPG Post #2
  5. Please Recommend Me Some Books And Games

1. Russ says:

Congratulations, Gordon! That’s a lot of hard work, done very well. :)

2. Naithin says:

Congratulations, dude.

I totally hear you about getting totally excited and immersed in things only to drop them a short time later, I have the same problem. ;)

So definitely I think 500 posts is a milestone worthy of remark!

Here’s to 500 more! <3

3. JMartin says:

Here is to 500 more insightful humorous blogs.

Keep up the awesome work Gordon.

4. Congrats! I totally know what you mean getting excited easily but losing the steam after a few months. I’m the same way, which is why I’m just as happy when I reach milestones with my own blog.

Kudos to you! %”!”§&§%”! *Freemason secret code*

6. Pid says:

Congrats! I am not even close to that, so it is a huge milestone in my book. Keep bloggin’!

7. You post too much. To put this in perspective, I’ve had my blog more than twice as long as you have, but my total post count is a mere 559 currently.

Of course, word-wise, I’m sure I’ve got 10x the verbiage you have. ;)

8. SlothBear says:

Congratulations on 500 posts! :) It will be quite some time before I get there!

9. Bhagpuss says:

I think you mean “We can do anything we want, all we have to do is never START trying”.

Potential > actuality.

10. Warlock says:

Congratulations on a successful 500 posts to your blog!

11. [...] finally, congratulations to Gordon at We Fly Spitfires. He’s celebrating his 500th post, an awesome accomplishment. For those who are interested in MMOs, his site is one of the best, so [...]

12. Jomu says:

Grats bud; i like the end quote on never stop trying. My favorite is a variation from Gundam Seed: Make the Impossible, Possible :)

13. Rivs says:

Congo Rats. Keep up the awesome job. :)