MMOs That Make Me Squeal With Anticipation

Copernicus concept art

Aside from the fact that this concept art makes Copernicus look like a Disney game, I'm still excited about it

Now that the awesomeness of Cataclysm is wearing off and MMO life is returning to normal for everyone, I’m starting to think about what new MMOs are lurking around the corner to tickle my fancy like some dirty old man in a trench coat. Some of these games are just on the horizon and we’ll (hopefully) get a chance to play them in 2011 while a couple of others are likely a few years away yet. Still, it’s exciting time for the industry and a great time to be a MMO gamer.

Here’s what’s getting my fires igniting:

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Well duh! I don’t know a MMO player who isn’t excited about this game and, frankly, shouldn’t we all be? It’s not often that one of the finest games companies of the last decade produces a multi-million dollar MMO based on one of the best IPs imaginable. And let’s face it, it’s not going to be hard to improve on the unfortunate Star Wars: Galaxies…

Black Prophecy/Jumpgate Evolution

Aside from the issue that I can’t actually tell these two MMOs apart (I’m half expecting to find out that they are indeed the very same game), I’m looking forward to them quite a lot. There isn’t much to know about them right now other than the fact they are both sci-fi space shooters that have a heavy focus on PvP. If they’re anywhere near as interesting as EVE Online but come with the ability to actually fly the darn ships then I’ll be a happy bunny.

Warhammer 40k: Dark Millenium

I finished the Eisenhorn Omnibus a few weeks ago and right now I couldn’t be more hot for Warhammer 40K. It’s gritty, in-depth, over-the-top sci-fi universe makes a nice change from the happy-clappy fantasy Elf genre that makes my skin crawl and I’m jolly well looking forward to a fast-paced, action MMO like Dark Millenium is promising to be.

Copernicus

We know practically nothing about Copernicus right now but, regardless, it’s an exciting prospect for me. I’ve got a huge amount of admiration for Curt Schilling who must’ve put a whole whack of his personal fortune on the line to chase his dream of developing a great MMO. It’s very cool to see someone take the opportunity to do what so many of us can only dream of. Plus he’s recruited some top blokes like R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane (and let’s not forget Steve Danuser of EQ2 community fame) so with talent like that how can they possibly fail to deliver?

New Everquest Progression Server

I know, technically not a new MMO. In fact, probably the furthest thing from a new MMO you could get but I have to say that I’m ver excited about the new progression server launching in March. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m burning out with WoW, maybe it’s the old school nostalgia calling me or maybe it’s just because I feel like experiencing the certain pain that only camping mobs for hours on end can bring but there’s something strongly pulling me back to EQ again.

So what, no Rift? Well, although I’ve pre-ordered the game and have a lot of faith in the development team (I have a man crush on Scott Hartsman that rivals the one I have on Brian Green) it’s not actually a game that’s filling me with a huge amount of excitement. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it (hence the preorder) and will hopefully enjoy it immensely for a good period of time but is it making me salivate with anticipation right now? ‘Fraid not.

1. Storytelling in MMOs
  2. IP Based MMOs Are High risk
  3. MMOs That Badly Need Expansions
  4. 2009 – A Bad Year For MMOs?
  5. Why I Love MMOs

1. Epiny says:

In all honesty I’m not excited at all about TOR. The entire Star Wars franchise has been horrible handled with regards to video games over the past 20 years. KOTR is the only game that has achieved any crictical claim… well maybe the old Atari 2600 light saber game with the weird controllers too… :) I’m the guy that bought a 32X because of the Star Wars franchise. Star Wars has done nothing but disapoint in a very long time.

I’m not on the Bioware bandwagon either. To me all of their games are essentially the same story line with the same choices with just a different cast in a different enviroment. Your choices don’t impact anything major in the game. They are masters at the illusion of choice though, the gamer feels like they have a direct impact on the vents when in reality they don’t.

Further more a MMO based on story?… with only 8 classes total, 4 per side? Nothing about this game screams long term success to me. Granted, I will more than likely try it, but I am very pessimistic about it.

Other than that I too am looking forward to Dark Prophecy and Dark Millenium. I haven’t been following Copernicus much but as more comes out I’m sure that will peak my interest too. I’m also excited for learning more about Titan this year, Blizzard’s new MMO.

2. Jason says:

Count me as uninterested in TOR. I actually did like SWG, before Sony gutted everything that made it worth playing and ran it into the ground. I think there’s potential there, but it’s potential they’re squandering by trying to jam a fantastic single player RPG into the MMORPG mold. Things that work in single player RPG, such as extensive cutscenes and voice acted dialog don’t strike me as being ready for, or even really workable in an MMO.

Beyond that, I’m always on the lookout for new scifi MMOs, and WH40k as an MMO has me giddy as well. I’ve been involved with tabletop 40k for 12 years or so, and absolutely love the world Games Workshop has built. Now we just have to hope that Dark Millenium isn’t mishandled in the way that WAR was.

For the rest of it, meh. Jumpgate and Black Prophecy don’t really hold much interest to me unless they manage to add joystick support to them, but I don’t really think that anyone’s willing to put in the work on something to make it what it could be, as the results would be pretty niche. As for Copernicus, we’ve seen plenty of AAA teams fall flat on their face building an MMO, so one more wouldn’t be terribly surprising.

3. SlothBear says:

I’m excited for Warhammer 40k because of the IP. I don’t know a thing about actual gameplay but hopefully it learns a whole lot of what not to do from the fantasy game! :)

4. pasmith says:

Here’s another not all that excited about TOR. I’m not a huge Star Wars fan and thought KOTOR was just OK. Never really got excited about Baldur’s Gate back in the day, or Mass Effect more recently.

I did like Dragon Age, though…

I’ll almost certainly play TOR just because it’s going to be an Event, but it isn’t squeal worthy to me. In fact after Rift there’s no MMO in the pipeline that I’m that excited about.

5. Carson says:

I’m an MMO player and I’m not even remotely interested in SW:TOR.

Don’t like Star Wars.

Don’t like EA.

Don’t like the idea of a sci-fi game based around the holy tank/heal/dps trinity.

Don’t like the idea of an MMO whose main selling point is the storyline for solo play.

They’ve still got plenty of time to come up with something appealing before release, but they sure haven’t done it yet.

6. Dunwich says:

The secret world!!! /slap

7. vortal says:

So far I have been disappointed with Star Wars (well at least video game wise, actually the last three movies sucked). I hope they never come up with anything ever again unless it is absolutely breath taking, too many disappointments from Star Wars it makes me feel sad. (sigh)

Well I am very interested in a Warhammer 40k MMO as well as the mysterious Copernicus. I can’t wait/

8. Epiny says:

I honestly thought I would get flamed for speaking out against TOR. Don’t get me wrong though, I want it to be amazing. I just don’t think it will be.

9. smakendahed says:

I’m with you on TOR, but I’m not confident I’ll last. WH40k sounds neat too, but I haven’t been following it. Other than those two…meh.:)

So the WH40k books are good stuff? I’ve eyed them thinking they might fill an urge for sci-fi type urge.

10. Merilar says:

Hello Gordon,

Agree on most of your choice. Anyway I think that Jumpegate is a vaporeware at 99%. Netdevil and Codemaster are (or will go) in trial : not a chance to ever see it in 2011.

Black Prophecy… I’m on the Beta and… Not sure about his future to be honest. :p

The other one that could be close (but still far far) from EvE could be Battlestar Galactica. Good for a web browser by the way.

But like you, SWToR and Warhammer 40k: Dark Millenium both turn me on !

Cheers

11. Luk says:

Reakktor Media sold Black Prophecy to Gamigo and Jumpgate Evolution is in legal limbo due to Netdevil being suied by its creditor.
    Anyone else thinks that these games not going to happen?

12. Bhagpuss says:

Only one of the MMOs on your list interests me. Copernicus. That’s because it has a fantasy setting. It’s the only one on that list that I expect even to look at. The rest I probably wouldn’t even try in open beta.

Star Wars is just a name to me. I’ve seen all the movies at release, and the first two were good. The rest I went to for social reasons. No interest in the franchise beyond that.

Despite (probably because of) being a lifelong SF reader I don’t much like SF in other media than print. The odd movie or TV show has been interesting but SF games are generally of no interest to me. Those ones certainly aren’t.

EQ Progression server interested me last time round but I prefer EQ as it is now to how it was then, and I still play.

The MMOs I am looking forward to you don’t mention. Are you really not interested in Guild Wars 2? Or EQNext?

Apart from Rift (which just gets better – beta 5 has added more excellent changes) and the above-mentioned two games, the other one I’m interested in is the one based on Tad Williams “Otherworld” series. Information on that one is scarce, though.

I completely agree that it’s a great time to be an MMO fan !

13. [...] We Fly Spitfires — MMOs that make me squeal with anticipation “I’m starting to think about what new MMOs are lurking around the corner to tickle my fancy like some dirty old man in a trench coat.” [...]

14. Stratagerm says:

What, no Guild Wars 2?

I have little interest in TOR. The emphasis on voice acting seems like a misallocation of resources, and Bioware games have all been more linear than I’d like.

While I’m curious about Copernicus, it’s still a long way from release, and I wonder if it will even see the light of day.

The traditional MMO I’m most looking forward to is GW2.

For non-traditional MMOs, the Minecraft server scene is quite interesting. There are serious efforts using server mods to build Second Life-like worlds, Buxville being the prime example.

15. Put me squarely in the don’t give a flying spitfire about SW:ToR category. The game looks TERRIBLE. I don’t see how anyone is excited about it. I find more people that are worried sick about it ruining the MMO market more than I find people excited to play it.

16. Lee says:

I am excited about Rift, SWTOR, and GW2, but really, everything is just a way to pass time until EQ Next for me.

17. Hi there, its nice piece of writing concerning media print, we all be aware
    of media is a wonderful source of data.