Everquest Progression Server Impressions
It’s been a busy week in which we’ve seen the kick off of not one, but two appealing MMO ventures. RIFT hit open beta on Tuesday, the exact same day as the new Everquest progression server launched which, considering I was very excited about playing both (imagine a small child jumping up and down shouting “I want, I want” and you’ll have an accurate picture of how I was), presented me with a huge dilemma: which to play? Well the easy answer was to play both. So that’s what I did.
Again, being busy ‘n all, I haven’t been able to pump in a huge amount of hours into Everquest (note: you don’t play EQ, you “pump in” hours like coins into a slot machine) but I’ve maybe amassed a good three or four over the coures of this weekend which I reckon is still enough to give me a reasonable first impression of the game. And I say first, but it’s more like “returning” as I was a die hard EQ boy back in the day and must’ve lost a good five or six years of my life to it.
Of course the progression server (Fippy Darkpaw is the one I rolled on) isn’t exactly a reflection of the current incarnation of Everquest as it’s a rollback to it’s original 1999 version. More or less. Some things they just couldn’t necromance so you still get the new UI, “new” character models, updated original zones, and don’t expect to have to stare at a book to meditate. Still, unless you enroll in Project 1999, it’s about as close as you’re going to get to a 20th century flashback.
Anyway, here are my thoughts, in no particular order:
- I love the loading music
- The (lack of decent) mouse controls make me want to smash something
- Someone spoke to me! WTF?!
- I have a 50/50 survial rate fighting a ‘yellow’ mob
- I can’t find any quests to do
- You can choose a religion which is awesome (even though it doesn’t do a lot)
- I had to kill 50 Kobold Runts to get to level 2
- If I killed 50 Kobold Runts in WoW, I’d be level 50
- I’m really excited about being able to play a Beastlord eventually
- Combat is painfully, painfully slow
- I get a lot of reading done when I’m leveling up
- There are no NPCs with big glowing icons above their heads to tell me what to do next
- I’m really scared of dying
- Cracked staves are money goodness
- Forsooth, I can roleplay again!
- Everyone seems so much more relaxed than in other games
- Makes me really look forward to Everquest 3
- I have no idea what I’m doing most of the time
- Am I going to re-sub to play more? Yes