RIFT Makes Me Appreciate WoWs Class Design More

Rift Champion

Thunder! Thunder! Thunder! Thundercats, Ho!

I’m starting to warm to RIFT’s soul system. A lot. There’s something quite elegant and sublime about being able to change class on nothing more than a whim. I love being able to solo with my Champion and hack my opponents to pieces with my gigantic two-handed sword then quickly switch into a holy, shield-throwing Captain American wannabe Paladin to tackle some sudden rifts or tank for a group. And I haven’t even mentioned the options of exploring other diverse roles such as the animal loving (platonically) Beastmaster or the magic wielding Riftblade. Yes indeed, it’s a very flexible class system that fills me the comforting knowledge and sense that I will be satisfied with my Warrior for a long time to come yet. But I think I prefer WoWs class design more.

As much as I admire and appreciate the soul system in RIFT it has two attributes which are ultimately a little clunky and make me acknowledge and appreciate the lengths to which Blizzard have gone to in order to strive for simplistic, usable elegance. I don’t like the multi-soul combination system RIFT and I think it takes too long to fully reveal and explore each class. There I said it.

Maybe my feelings will change with time but right now I’m level 24, half way to the level cap, with easily over 20 hours invested in my character and now, only just now, am I starting to discover what the Champion and Paladin are all about it. I’ve had to gain a lot of levels and advance far up the soul trees in order to unlock enough abilities to truly get a feel for each class and that, in my eyes, is a shame. I don’t want to wait to 20 hours or 10 hours or even 5 hours to appreciate the unique flavour of the class I’ve picked, I want it as soon as I start playing. I mean, isn’t the first hour of a MMO just as valuable as the 500th?

I also, as I said, don’t like the ability to combine souls. Yeah, it’s kinda neat, but it’s also distracting and, again, for the majority of the lower levels it’s completely and utterly pointless. With 24 points invested in my “main” soul, I’ve only got something like seven left to invest between the other two and that’s practically worthless right now. Yes, I appreciate the fact that I could spread them more evenly and that it will all change as I gain more levels but I’d refer you to my previous point about feeling a character and a role right from the first moment. I mean, c’mon, you’d be pretty peeved if you bought a Batman game and couldn’t actually play as the Caped Crusader himself for the first 10 or 20 hours, wouldn’t you?

And that’s why I like WoWs class and talent system so much. Not only does each class and talent tree have absolutely unique flavour to it but the new talent system that came out with Cataclysm ensures that you immediately get a fe felor your chosen class and spec from a very early stage (personally I’d prefer it if talents were available from level 5, not 10). I know there were many complaints that a lot of the Cataclysm class and talent changes made the game less flexible and, to be fair, they are perfectly correct and justified but that’s part of the point.

Of course WoW is utterly constrained and inflexible and that’s the beauty of it. It reduces complexity by reducing choice and making each action so seamless and effortless that you get caught up in the desire to make the next one rather than the decisions involved in the current one. In many ways Blizzard is like the Apple or Google of the MMORPG world: appealing to the mainstream by enhancing usability through limiting choice and reducing uncomfortable decisions.

RIFT is still a fantastic game and I think one that has a lot of deep potential that I look forward to exploring. I can imagine that the soul system is a lot of fun when you’re level 50 and have several dozens of points to play with and the time to experiment. My issue is only with the time it takes to get to that point and lack of immediacy in enjoying and experiencing each class fully and I think there WoW triumphs. Still, Blizzard have had six years to get there so one wouldn’t expect any less.

1. RIFT vs The Cookie Cutter Monster
  2. The Soul System aka Class Flexibility
  3. Returning To RIFT
  4. RIFT Open Beta Impressions
  5. WoW To Offer Paid Class Change

1. Epiny says:

I agree. I made my Cleric into the Shaman Druid melee dps and I have a very bleh feeling as far as class identity goes. I have my points spread pretty thing too because the first level of all 3 of my tree’s give nice melee damage bonuses while the 2nd level gives… meh abilities.

WoW does an amazing job at making you feel like your class as soon as you pick a spec, granted it wasn’t always that way but that doesn’t matter. It’s unfair to WoW to compare Rift to previous patch verisions. As soon as you pick a spec in WoW you get to experience that role, in Rift it seems to take much longer.

Class identity is important to me and why I’ve focused on single soul trees so much with my roles in RIFT. I like feeling like a Champion or like a Paladin rather than a generic Warrior so I’ve tried to max those branches. I have to say though, as I level up more and put more points into them, I feel more and more like I’m discovering the class and it’s playstyle which is good. Unfortunately though it has taken me over 20 hours to reach this point and thus is why I can appreciate WoWs design more. Feeling like a Paladin or whatever from the get-go is very nice.

2. rowan says:

I love the soul system, exactly for its choices, do I put a point or there, and what do I sacrifice in that tree to make this tree better, or get that next root ability? The Cataclysm version of WoW’s talent system offers some nice initial benefits that used to be way up the trees, but the straitjacket constraints mean you are something like mid-60s before you can see some of the synergies of crossing the trees. And some abilities that used to be available very early in the leveling experience are now relegated to higher levels, because the trainers need to be able to train you in *something* later on. I think the WoW talent system lost something in the trade-of to simplicity.

Then again, I’ll never buy an iPhone either.

3. Max says:

Amazing post. You picked one of the great points why blizzard class design is still top notch even after all those years

Another point I d like to add is that while Rift seems to provide many more “classes” than wow it is at expence of making them all very generic. Rogue gameplay was unique ,so was warrior , mage, warlock, shaman – every class had its distinct flavor and mechanics (some of this was sadly lost with expansions) .

in rift? – lots of classes uses combo points of some sorts. Talents are very blands, abilities -nothing special. Yes there are more combination you can make , but at the end of the day it comes to a few fotm. Right now its champ/para, pyro, sabo . dont know about clerics. Which gets swapped around every patch – pyros will be even more fotm ,champs would switch to paragon. Rogues will reroll or quit

Something I really admire about Blizzard’s design is how they’ve spent a long time boiling down the essence of each class and talent tree and trying to create meaningful decisions with each click by the player rather than just mindless spam. I dislike how in RIFT you can easily end up with a billion abilities, each more or less doing the same thing. It’s overkill.

My trouble with WoW isn’t the KISS class design (Keep It Simple, Stupid), it’s the inflexibility. If I could have a character that could switch spec all the way down to *class* at a whim (no respec cost, no trainer, just button clicks in the UI… I’ll concede “out of combat”), I’d be a lot more satisfied with WoW’s design.

There’s something to be said for simplicity, sure, but straitjacket simplicity simply isn’t satisfying.

• Epiny says:

I wouldn’t want to switch specs that easily. I do however like FFXIVs idea of letting you be every class with one character, but I don’t think switching on a whim is such a good idea. It feels like that would be to easy.

It’s not the simplicity that makes WoW’s talent tree’s so good, or the restrictions on them… it’s that as soon as you pick a talent tree your class becomes that tree. You have an immediate class identity.

The ability to have four roles (i.e. specs) in RIFT is awesome and it’s very cheap to respec your souls too. I’ve spent a lot of time just respeccing and trying new formulas which is something I never did in WoW. I kinda felt that WoW would’ve benefitted with fewer talent points per tier to make your decisions more impactful.

5. browolf says:

What I like about the soul system is it so far (lvl27) affords me opportunity to avoid getting lots of skills I’ll rarely use and probably forget I even have.
    so far I have my points in 8bard 17 ranger 11 assassin and have mostly picked % passive things and it seems good as far as running quests go.

6. MMO GurL says:

I do understand where you’re coming from. I have always complained about the strictness of Wow’s classes, but when given unlimited possibilities in Rift, it’s hard to deny that it’s not a little overwhelming. The worst is having to relearn a soul if you’re high up enough that you will get a gajillion skills all at once.

I can’t say that it’s all bad though and if I had to choose I would choose Rift’s method just because it allows people to be severley different according to their playstyle. The only problem is that sometimes you get frustrated trying to find your niche – but at least you have the option to look!

I get the feeling I’ll appreciate RIFT’s soul system more once I hit level 50 and have more points to play with. As it stands, at level 26 now, I don’t feel that I’m really getting the full benefit from it.

7. gamerzdb says:

I also hate this soul system, I prefer simplicity.

8. Bhagpuss says:

While I would generally vote for simplicity over complexity, I found WoW’s classes numbingly limited. As I often say, there were many reasons I lost interest in WoW after abotu three months of play, but the sheer lack of variety in what I could do with each class was definitely one of the main ones.

I also much prefer a system where the best stuff is always just out of reach, I’ve always preferred jam tomorrow to jam today and I find getting what I want much less satisfying than wanting what I don’t yet have. For my money one of Rift’s big negatives is that it dumps everything on you too easily and to quickly.

I’d much, MUCH prefer to have the eight souls spaced out over 50 levels with level caps to acquire each of them. I’d also prefer a harder, slower route to getting them even when they do become available.The first hour may need to be as valuable as the 500th, but the 500th also needs to be as rewarding and compulsive as the first.

• 4242-564 says:

The problem i have with Wow’s talent trees right now is that they have been, at least for me, dumbed down so much that there is almost no sense of differentiation between 1 say, prot specced pally to another, especially after signature moves are provided at level 10. Since catacalysm, you couldn’t even spec into a different tree until after you hit level 69 (31 points) in the main tree.

At least with Rift you get the freedom to spend points however you like. Sure there are gimped builds, but there are so many builds that are viable depending on your level and purpose (pvp,pve). And the having 4 roles is a major convenience.

Spacing the souls out would definitely be nice. I had collected them all by level 15 and it seemed a little redundant. Why not just give them all to me at the start?

Aslo re: WoW, as I said in another comment, I actually think it would benefit from fewer talent points per tier thus making decisions more meaningful. As it stands you generally end up fussing over two or three talents rather than anything massively impactful.

9. Pathak says:

I just hit level 32 with my Cleric. From the get go, I’ve been playing a Justicar, but maintained a Purifier build for instances (that I’ve not get bothered to run). I was feeling that I wasnt getting enough DPS out of my Justicar build, but that’s what you get for running with a defensive build, and the trade off is great survivability.

So last night, I tried an Inquisitor/Cabalist build and put it together with ZAMs Soul Calculator. For the first time, I found myself doing a bit of math to work out what abilities I should best be using for mana efficiency, and DPS output. I definitely appreciate Dr Damage just that little bit more.

However, playing with the ZAM Soul Calculator, it became clear that any build with max points in the primary tree is likely to end up with 51 points in that tree, and 10 in the secondary tree. And that’s not alot different from what ends up with WoW. Except you can choose to put points in that secondary tree alot earlier, and wiil, in fact, be forced to, unless you branch out and make use of that third tree for more that just a basic pet or stat booster.

What I really do like, as you mentioned, is switching souls to something else, and getting more than just two presets to choose from.

But with regards to WoWs talent trees, it’s hard to make a fair comparison. WoW has been around longer, they’ve had 4 major revisions, with the most recent being a massive normalization so that the list of available talents and spells didn’t get out of control.

For RIFT, this is their first go at it. Sure, there are plenty of lessons they might have learned from WoW and other games with talent trees (WoW and Guild Wars have been my only other MMOs that I’ve had experience with.. I wont include LoTRO and DDO, since I didnt invest a whole lot of time with them). I’m sure there were comparisons between EQ and WoW when WoW was first released.

The bit that I like about RIFT is that there are so many primary souls to use within a single calling. Where as WoW just has the 3 per class. Not entirely disappointing, since you can really only play one at a time. And not all of them will be for everyone.

The challenge for Trion is balance, class balance. It’s a continuous struggle for Blizzard, and will present the same struggle for Trion.

10. amcl says:

I like the fact that in Rift you can be what you want.
    Combine beast mastery with warrior stuff.

I also love the Rift auto group feature! Helped me complete tough quests and people are more open to new friends joining then on a quest.

11. Juz says:

This highlights one of Rifts greatest weaknesses/strengths: the most fun I’ve had with the game is outside of the game in the Charbuilder. I love coming up with cool combos – but then I don’t have a level 40-something Rogue to try it out on, and if I want to roll up a rogue, I’ll be using the stock leveling build for the next month.

I think the current system would be fantastic if it gave you your first 30ish points free at like level 13 when you unlock all of the souls.

12. Barrista says:

Have you leveled a paladin from 1 to 85 since the tree changes were released? All I know is that it was horrid and if I would have started WoW under that, I likely would never have made it to 20.

I honestly haven’t had the problem you describe with my paladin in Rift. I was realizing I had much better survivability and tanking in rifts by 15 at the latest. I was tanking on my rogue around this point as well.

WoW’s new talent trees are part of why I left the game. I hope Rift doesn’t do something similar, but I don’t see how they could.

I played an alt in WoW after Cataclysm although not all the way up to 85. I thought the changes really helped out the lower levels and made them more fun (which was totally what Blizzard wanted). It didn’t feel like it changed life with my 85 Warrior much.

13. Telwyn says:

I’d agree with Barrista and others, I do not think that the Cataclysm talent point system is progress. To me it seems Blizzard have rubber-stamped the long standing tendency in WoW for cookie-cutter builds to be the only widely accepted build for most classes. Now the so-called ‘useless/filler’ talents are gone there’s even less choice to make. All characters within a specific spec are the same and the lock on splash talents until high level make that worse.

Rift to me represents a return of choice in character development, at least so far (highest character is 20th). No doubt certain overpowered builds will be popular but I hope character variety is still possible when I reach the end-game.

Following cookie-cutter builds is a personal choice though not one inflicted upon us by designers. I have no doubt we’ll end up seeing just as many cookie-cutter builds emerge in RIFT as people discover the “best” combination of souls and abilities. I think so many people follow them in WoW because of it’s achievement based culture rather than it’s talent tree design.

• Tesh says:

I disagree. The simple fact that they reduced the amount of choices you can make and lock you into one tree until level 70+ absolutely prompts more cookie cutter builds, just by the nature of the design.

That said, you’re absolutely right, following the herd’s spec is a personal choice. It still surprises me how many people do that. Or how many want restricted choice over flexibility. If nothing else, RIFT is good for the market as it offers some another option for players.

• Imakulata says:

Tesh, would you explain how does the reduced amount of choices prompts more people going for cookie cutters? Assuming there are actually theoretical options how to build your characters.

I would understand if you said it prompts less cookie cutters – the multitude of options makes people fear taking a wrong choice because, first, they might think the consequence of such choice would be big, second, they might feel the effort invested in comparing their options in order not to choose a wrong one – which they might not consider fun activity – is just not worth it. To get them deviate from cookie cutters would need to make the system more simple, probably with reduced choice – which is exactly what WoW offers compared to Rift.

Of course, this is just a very general rule; some people might feel the choice in Rift is not difficult at all, others might feel WoW’s talent system is too complex, so it’s possible the cost of choice will not be felt.

• João Carlos says:

Gordon, I disagree. If we don’t have any cokie-cutter until now, we problably will never see them. Look at the guides are being wrote: no cokie cutter. After one month since pre-launch.

IMHO, any soul combination will work. And the players will find what combination will work better for THEIR play style. That kills any try for create a cokie-cutter.

• Epiny says:

Completely disagree. There are already “popular” specs showing up which in turn will become the Cookie Cutter specs. Just because you have the option to be different doesn’t mean the community wont optimize their specs regardless of how many other people have the same spec.

If a spec is good, why is it so wrong for alot of people to use it? It’s like some people want to be different for the sake of being different. “Neat” and “Fun” specs aside why would I want to be a shitty healing cleric when by changing my spec I could be a better one?

14. Pascal says:

I don’t know, my perspective is different. I play by what I enjoy. That is the feeling I need from the class / role / build to know if it’s doing what I want it to do. I’m a healer. As a healer, can I heal things effectively?

Strangely, yes as a Chloromancer. No as a Cleric :P

But it worked. Works. Dunno, I really like this system.

It is good, don’t get me wrong, I just appreciate the elegance of the simplicity behind WoW’s class and talent system.

• Pascal says:

I hear you. I don’t know if this is the type of proposition that will have a right or wrong answer; because different systems will appeal to different people.

I do split my points, but that is because I’ve looked at the different trees available, picked what I want to be able to do and I’ve plotted out where I’m intending to go with it. And I’ve changed that a few times based off what I’ve seen, experienced and had difficulties with. For example, initially I delved into Warlock for mana regeneration. (Lifetap) But, I found for my play style having the Skeleton for a mana battery (Dark Pact) was more suited for what I was doing and gave me more options (Buff stripping, etc.)

I’m taking a different approach to this MMO though; instead of researching and following the flavours of the month on [insert website name] I’m trying to do it all myself and actually playing through my changes to see what works.

And that flexibility can be handy sometimes. I got dragged into Iron Tomb on my Cleric as DPS (Cabalist / Warden). I did okay in the DPS department, but after the first pull we could see the Druid that had intended to main-heal it was not going to be able to cope. So, I flipped over to another role which was Justicar / Sentinel based and off-healed using both melee and raw healing. Somehow we managed to work our way through the instance, despite one insane mad pull where we got 12 mobs instead of 3.

The idea of healing with a mage … it just. I don’t know. Works for me. Works so well. But I can imagine that a new player, fresh to the MMO world and wanting to try this out? Heck it would be overwhelming. I’m still refining and adapting and working out which combinations work well and which ones doesn’t. Wish the price of additional roles was a bit more sensible though. 30g for the first and the next one is what? A couple of platinum? Ouch.

• João Carlos says:

@Pascal “But I can imagine that a new player, fresh to the MMO world and wanting to try this out? Heck it would be overwhelming.”

My mage level 50 have 3 builds (I am saving the money for buy a 110% mount, so I will not buy a fourth role soon). One role is a chloromancer/warlock for groups that need a secondary healer or for raids.

I use the chloromancer for raids: rift raids and that raid quests at Stilmoor and Shimmersands. Chloromancer is very nice at raids. But I am not confident using chloromancer as main healer at a dungeon. I hear people say it works fine, but I think need be a devoted healer, something I am not, I prefer nuke the mobs.

Some builds will work for some players. Other will not. What will work is based at personal preferences. That is the reason I think Rift never will have cookie-cutter builds.

15. anon says:

are you sure you are really using the souls correctly?
    i played a mage in beta and at even before lvl 20 i had invested points in all my 3 souls:
    water/lightning soul for damage
    warlock for life tap (and i think a minor heal)
    and the last one for a tanking pet and a shield

before that, i used the chrono soul for self-heal. which also costed points.

basically: just dumping all points into one soul is the wrong approach from the start. maybe based on too much wow which doesn’t even allow anything else anymore.

16. numtini says:

I have to disagree. I’ve spent my share of time staring at different specs, but I appreciate having the options.

17. Spidubic says:

I loved WoW talent trees before Cata when you could explore each tree as you leveled rather than have to put 31 points into tree before the rest opened and then only have 10 points to spend in them. Very bland. Your build ends up like the others. Rifts souls on the other hand let you tweak and play till the cows come home. And for me that is huge. I love trying new builds or new skills. Being able to have a main role that may not be the best but works for me but having the option to swap out to another role if you need to is awesome. As far as identity I am a Warrior first and foremost. The fact I can attack with one 2h sword or two 1h makes little difference far as I am concerned because deep down I am still a Warrior.

I want options. I want to be able to be different from the Warrior standing beside me or the one I meet out in the wilds. With WoW I know chances are the Feral Druid I meet on the road likely has exactly the same build and skills as I do.

Yeah, I know it’s a little depressing in WoW when you know that everyone is almost idential to yourself. This is something RIFT is very good at dealing with (even if the Champion class is a little too common for my tastes).

18. Syl says:

“…constrained and inflexible and that’s the beauty of it. It reduces complexity by reducing choice ”

To me that’s the worst thing really – the talent trees in Cataclysm have become nobrainers to a point where you wonder why you even bother filling in points. at best you can vary 2-4 pts per spec – it’s all utterly cookie cut.
    I am with Sid Meier, I’d like my choices to be meaningful. you ultimately only have choices when there is flexibility and various options.

• ScytheNoire says:

I’m with you, Cataclysm ruined WoW. But that’s just my opinion.

With Rift, no one is forcing you to take anything in all three trees, or even which trees to pick. And if you don’t like one, you can easily get a new one. You have choice, and that is what is important. With WoW now, they might as well just ask you which tree you want and then automatically give you all those talents. There is no choice any more, and never really was that much to begin with.

19. pkudude99 says:

I never played a whole lot of WoW, so I can’t really comment much on its talent trees, but I am finding that I like the Rift system more each day. Lately I’ve been playing an “Inquisicar” build, using the Inquisitor dps caster soul as the “main” and the Justicar tank/off-heal soul as the secondary. It’s also got the Sentinel Healer soul as the tertiary.

Sounds pretty cut and dried, doesn’t it?

But this is where the fun begins. . . do you go with 32 points in Inquisitor, or go up to 44? If you go with 44, how do you split the Justicar and Sentinel points? 11/11? 16/6? And which points are you taking in Sentinel? Focusing solely on heals? Or are you taknig the Shards of Light attack spell and the +5% crit chance vs mob debuff? In Justicar are you taking 8 points to heal yourself, 10 points to heal yourself better, 11 points to heal your group, or 16 to heal your group and “double heal” your tank?

And in the Inquisitor soul, are you reducing the cast time on Bolt of Judgment? What about that channeled self-heal? Since you self-heal off any strike due to Justicar, do you want or need that skill or spend the point elsewhere? If you’re taking Shards of Light in Sentinel, so you do anything in Inquisitor to boost the Bolt of Judgment that you aren’t really using?

And all this choice is from *1 build* that is already considered kind of a cookie cutter for leveling and dps/support in a dungeon.

For myself, I love the complexity.

I’ve played with a lot of mage builds also. For healing, I love the “Chlorlock.” I’ve dinked around with the “Necrolock” for a couple of levels, but I find I’m just not digging the pet, so last night I respec’d to Pyro/Lock/Archon (that mana regen, then use your charge to heal yourself from Warlock is too useful, darnitall!). Haven’t had the chance to try it out yet, and I expect a learning curve, but it looks like fun to me. We’ll see. And if it doesn’t work out for me, then I’ll go back to a pet class, I suppose. I love the ability to experiment and find out what works best FOR ME without needing to re-roll the character and repeat all that low-level content again and again and again.

I think perhaps I need to experiment a little more and split some of my points up between builds. I guess my issue is that so far at level 26 there aren’t a lot of points to play with and the temptation to fill out one main tree is too great.

• Pathak says:

Pretty soon, at about level 30 perhaps, they’re gonna dump a whole bunch of extra soul points on you, so you’ll have to branch out to the secondary tree (pun not intended).

• Spidubic says:

That is the one downside. You really don’t get to explore the souls until into the 30’s where you have enough points to spread out. At this point you get to fill your main tree and dabble in the other trees. At level 42 I now have all the points I want in my BM and enough in my second and third souls to be happy. The rest is cake. Of course I also have three other roles all different that I play with. For a person who is never happy if they are not tweaking their builds Rift is awesome!

20. [...] my previous post I wrote about how RIFT made me appreciate the class and talent design of World of Warcraft more [...]

21. [...] with that said, when I read a post yesterday on Gordon’s blog, I was floored by just how much I absolutely disagree with his [...]

22. [...] Gordon at We Fly Spitfires and Wil at The Ancient Gaming Noob both touched on a few aspects of class design that highlighted another aspect of player choice or the (merits of the) limits thereof.  Likewise, Keen had a few good thoughts on old EQ which resonated. [...]

23. Andrew says:

I think that WoW’s design choices for Cataclysm are informed by what they were seeing from their players, where if you put the points into the crit talent instead of the haste talent and so your DPS/TPS/HPS is .5% lower, then you’s a sucka – no raiding for you! Which you and I and Blizzard know is the wrong way to approach things, but re-educating the player base isn’t really an option…

24. Steve says:

Dont take this the wrong way i mean no disrespect, but i feel you are just so used to blizzard holding your hand and forcing you to take a path, that when the world actually opened up and there was no more hand that you didnt know where to walk. I think that being able to make mistakes with your builds and learning is much more fun than someone giving me a pre-set and saying go, like WOW has done.

25. Dave says:

You’re an idiot. Disrespect meant. What part about investing time into an MMO do you not want to do? It’s not a TMO game (Tiny Multiplayer Online). As a constant WoW player and deserter, I found that once I figured out my class, I was bored. Here, I have all the time in the world to explore all the roles that I can play, and I can get in and out of them with ease. It’s added a ton of depth and longevity to a style of gaming that I used to find getting old after I hit a level cap.

And what reason would you want to limit your experience. Why in an ever evolving world, would I want to be restricted?