Mists Of Pandaria Predictions

Pandas and kung fu. A natural combination.

Pandas and kung fu. A natural combination by anyone's standards.

A few weeks ago it was revealed that Blizzard had trademarked the name “Mists of Pandaria” and ever since then imaginations have been running wild as to what it’s all about. Just like most people, I’m reckoning that it’s the name of the next World of Warcraft expansion, something which makes perfect sense to me. Blizzard love their humour and also delight in giving players what they want without always being the most original in their attempts (which is exactly why I think project Titan will turn out to be World of Starcraft – but I digress). Seeing as how I balls up my original thoughts on Cataclysm many moons ago (I called it a hoax… turns out I was kinda wrong), I figured this time I’d get in their early and announce my predictions for Mists of Pandaria before it’s even been upgraded from rumour status.

New Alliance race: Pandaren

Well duh. Kinda goes with my logic about the expansion itself. I know many people would argue that the introduction of a Pandaren race is unlikely given their comical roots but I actually think they’ve solicited themselves as a memorable concept within the hearts of both the players and the devs. And like I said before, Blizzard aren’t ashamed to pick up and run with something that’s popular regardless of where it came from.

New Horde race: Ogre

I can’t say I have any logical basis for this prediction but I’ve included it because I’ve always wished that Ogres were a playable race in WoW. It harks back to my Everquest days and my love for big, dumb brutes and although Warcraft has Orcs, they just aren’t quite the same thing in my opinion.

New Hero Class: Monk

Not only would a Monk class be exceedingly popular but it also fits in nicely with the Pandaren theme given the original joke about the Pandaren Brewmaster, a parody of drunken kung fu. That aside, I do reckon a Monk class would be a great addition to the game especially if it was a healer/DPS hybrid. DPSing up close with fist weapons and staves or healing other players – perhaps with some sort of cool new battle mechanic – would be really nice to see.

Removal of all race/class restrictions

Given the addition of numerous race/class combinations with Cataclysm and the problem caused by the (rather stupid) decision to allow Death Knights to be of any race (and thus setting a precedent for all Hero Classes to be race non-specific), I think we’ll see the removal of race/class restrictions completely. I know roleplaying enthusiasts may find that a hideous thought but personally I’d welcome the ability to roll some more interesting choices. Undead Shaman anyone?

Level cap increase to level 90

A no brainer. I would be very surprised if Blizzard launched any expansion with a level cap increase and, while taking in consideration the five level increase in Cataclysm, I think it’s pretty logical to assume that their next expansion will follow suit.

Original player models upgraded

Again, perhaps more of a personal wish than anything else but I’d love to see the original character models get a much deserved refresh – they just look plain rubbish now, especially when compared to the new Worgen and Goblin races (or even the Blood Elves and Draenei). I also think it’s actually quite likely given that Blizzard already revamped some of the character models for traditional races when they updated some of the NPCs in Cataclysm – the new Thrall model is a great example.

So there are my predictions for Mists of Pandaria. If I’m right I’ll probably be burned at the stake for practising witchcraft. Or praised by the nerd community as an online visionary.

1. 2009 Predictions
  2. The Future of WoW (And Why I’m Excited)
  3. Pandaren Ponderings
  4. 2009 Predictions – Review
  5. 2010 MMORPG Predictions

1. Isn’t the smart money, as it were, on “Mists of Pandaria” being an iOS/Android game?

2. Shorah says:

I’d really really like to see the Pandaren playable by either faction. It would add a new dynamic to the game. After the initial starting area, you end with an epic quest that makes you choose your faction. Since the Pandaren are neutral and not loyal to either Alliance or Horde, it could work.

TOTALLY agree on a monk, but worry that it will come out too much like a shaman. :(

So far with WoW they’ve always added unique races per faction but you never know about the Pandarens. No doubt they would be very, very popular and certainly shift favour to the Alliance if they were only a good race.

3. Nils says:

A wounded animal is unpredictable. I have no idea what Blizzard is going to do with WoW …

4. ScytheNoire says:

Everyone keeps waiting for the Emerald Dream, so this info here is probably about right on. Personally though, none of that matters, as Cataclysm was the end of WoW for me.

Hey, if they started the game with humanoid *cows*, pandas aren’t a big stretch… especially with the popularity of both the Pandarans and the Kung Fu Panda movies. That said, I double dog dare them to make both genders rotund balls of fury instead of making the females Yet Another Skanky Model.

6. Pike says:

I’m kind of iffy on the idea on assigning the Pandaren race to one faction if they’re going to have a whole expansion named after them. It’s… well, not really shutting out half of the playerbase, but close to it. It would be like if Cataclysm was named specifically after the worgen or goblins. How would the die-hard player of the other faction feel?

Assuming this is a true expansion pack I’d toss my two cents in and predict that Pandaren will either be a neutral NPC race (read: Tuskarr, or dragons), or will somehow be available to both factions. Just my guess! :)

7. Rinvan says:

I still think that Mist of Pandaria is some type of iphone/facebook game. Blizzard would be foolish to ignore the mobile gaming market.

8. Telwyn says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right with it being set in Pandaria, after all the Kung Fu Panda movies have been popular with the kids (i.e. next gen of players). I can imagine it now – play your own Kung Fu Panda – play WoW!

I doubt that we’ll see a hero class and two new races, there’ll have to be a compromise somewhere surely, especially as they’re releasing this on a shorter development timeline than previous expansions…

I think WoW is far too wedded to it’s 2 faction core to have a shared race, though it’s an interesting idea.

If they do introduce Monk it should be either a dps/tank or a full hybrid with a new healing mechanism (not mana-based) and with an evasion tank tree with some diamond body style temporary immunity options maybe to deal with panic moments.

9. [...] over at We Fly Spitfires made a prediction, it seems Blizzard Trademarked Mists of Panderia. People are guessing it to be the new Expansion. I [...]

10. Paul says:

Three difficulty levels in raids.

Random LFR groups will experience additional raid nerfs, akin to those in the random 5 mans.

Some sort of dynamic content in response to Rift. The PvE equivalent of battlegrounds, perhaps?

11. johnny says:

Is not hard to have pandarens for both factions :

-they can make black pandarens with white stripes for horde and call the faction Pandarans.
    – white pandarens with black stripes for alliance and call the faction Pandareans.
    Same models , different skins.
    On the Panda islands – two kingdoms , Pandarans are in war with Pandareans. One ask for help from aliance , other from horde. Problem solved.

And the game is not an android game . Android games don’t come with : DVD gamediscs, personalized mouse, mousepad, books,manuals . They licenced all those above , basically all they put there is what you ussualy can find in a Collector Edition Box of a pc game.

12. sigh says:

so instead of thinking about what blizz might come up with, you gave us a wishlist. may want to retitle this post.

13. dresdor says:

To me; monk makes more sense as a Tank/DPS class than a healer. But that’s my envisioning. Blizzard needs more tanks period; so making it a hero class would increase the numbers (much like the massive amounts of DK “Tanks” that existed in WOTLK…I use the term loosely as few were very good at it).

14. [...] and some of other big changes Blizzard plan on introducing. Not only does this prove that I’m psychic to a scary degree of accuracy but it’s also got me rather flippin’ excited. About the playable Pandas? No, I honestly [...]

15. hordemaster says:

So Blizzcon is over and you were right all along and everyone else who predicted this would be the new xpac. Good bye Wow it was fun playing horde!!!