Feeling Hungry For World of Darkness

World of Darkness

I don’t know much about World of Darkness other than it involves vampires, politics, political vampires and a very loyal, slightly scary fanbase. It’s also, as far as I can gather, nothing like Twilight .

Far too many years ago, when I still a teenager, I remember being quite intrigued by the whole World of Darkness setting even though I understood little of it. All I knew was that it made vampires cool (in a dark and Machiavellian way) and was often enjoyed by Ann Rice fans and Goths alike. In fact, I had the pleasure of meeting some Vampire The Masquerade roleplayers when I was about 17 and they left quite an impression on me. Even to this day I still have a fuzzy memory of pale bosoms, fake blood and some melodramatic banter.

Since then, I dabbled a bit more in the World of Darkness mythology and thoroughly enjoyed the single player RPGs and even had a strange love/hate relationship with Kindred: the Embraced, the low budget TV show based on it. It was no Forever Knight but then things could match the cheesy, vampire glory that it offered. And yes, I’m well aware I spent far too much time watching late-night re-runs whilsy I at university in the early 2000s.

Anyway, I think it’s fair to say that even though I still don’t really understand what World of Darkness is actually all about (the TV show taught me nothing), I’m very much intrigued about the upcoming MMO based on it. Partly because of the lore and setting and partly because it’s being made by CCP, the folks behind EVE Online.

Although CCP went through a rough patch last year with their whole cash store fiasco (and seem to be constantly laying off staff), I still believe in them as a developer and their ability to create games that are… different. Love it or hate it, EVE (and all the Mittani related scandals that come with it) is certainly unique in the MMORPG world and truly the only real sandbox success story we’ve seen in it. I honestly hope that WoD will follow in the footsteps of EVE and be another strong sandbox offering.

The signs are looking pretty good too. For instance, CCP recently confirmed that the game will not only feature player elected leaders of real life cities but also a partial permadeath mechanic. Permanent death, now that’s brave. No doubt this type of full-blown sandbox game will put off a lot of people but personally I’m really excited to see a game trying some new approaches to the industry.

Plus, World of Darkness is going to have something that’s always kinda put me off from getting into EVE: a clean slate. Launch day is going to see a brand new world, unspoilt and uncharted, ready to be explored and pioneered. No big guilds occupying all the territory, no existing wars for dominance, no experienced hardcore players ready and waiting to wipe the floor with every newb who logs on. It’s going to be an open sandbox world for the taking with everyone starting at the same level on an equal footing and with no advantages. That’s exciting.

Are you looking forward to the World of Darkness MMO as much as I am?

1. World of Darkness MMO
  2. 30 Seconds of Darkness
  3. “You’re in Our World Now”: How Much Does Setting Affect MMO Enjoyment?
  4. Should I Get The Secret World?
  5. A Year Of World of Warcraft

1. amcl says:

Are you going to try out ‘the secret world’ too?

2. I’ve been looking forward to the World of Darkness since the day that Gary Gannon packed it in with the MOGArmy Podcast to take a job in Atlanta with CCP.

I don’t know that he even still works there…it’s been *years*…

3. pkudude99 says:

Not really. But I did pre-order The Secret World, and if that pulls me more into this type of genre, then perhaps when WOD comes out I’ll be willing to play it.

I have more faith in WoD than Secret World just because of CCP’s track record versus Funcoms.

• Same here, Secret World sounded interesting until I noticed it’s Funcom behind it.

As for WoD, the fanfest presentation made me cautiously optimistic. CCP has recovered well, and overall has a good record, I trust them nearly as much again as I trust Blizzard. So I hope they’ll do this well. EVE is wearing on me, and I love the WoD setting, so I’d be most pleased to make that my new home.

4. Lars says:

The only good MMORPG probably ever made… So can’t wait… Since 2006 waiting, now finally in “full” production.
    By the way, all the infos we know so far you can check out at http://www.themasquera.de/world-of-darkness

PS: Secret World was the only other MMORPG I was slightly interested in, but after the awful beta. No thanks.

5. SlothBear says:

A lot of the mechanics of the game sound interesting. I have my eye on this one, but it’s too soon to say whether I’d have any interest in playing or not. Player politics are always a plus to me.

6. Overflow says:

I’ll keep an eye on it and likely play it when it releases just to see how different it is from the standard in the genre. I’m more excited for the possibility that the game can be drastically different and still popular/profitable (another EvE) to help the genre develop, than I am in the actual content. Though, I assume that will change as I read more about it.

7. hordemaster says:

I for one am a big fan of White Wolf, the company that created the Vampire the Masquerade series of games. So yes, I would play this!

8. Rubel says:

I remember playing a little of the PnP games with friends and having some fun. The mechanics were an interesting shift from D&D. But while the overall setting had its points, I remember finding the Clans sort of heavy-handed. I guess they needed something to communicate a “class” role to a bunch of RPGers used to such things, and it gave them foils with which to show off their setting.
    But what really made the WoD come alive (undead?) for me was finally getting around to playing Troika’s Vampire:Bloodlines game. I played it later on, after fan patches had fixed the bugs…and it tells a wonderful story with sharp and tangy characters. The Clans seem less dorky when you see them as carving out niches for themselves in a rough world…and you’re given a choice to follow them or go elsewhere.
    It’s a worthy setting, and it reminds us of what both CCP and Funcom can capitalize upon if they make it an interesting world to play in.

9. Ravven says:

I’ve said for years that WoD was the IP that I would be most excited to see made as an MMO, and was extremely excited when the news came out that it was actually in development. I just worry that CCP treats it a bit like a red-headed stepchild. At one point, I’d lost hope that we would ever see it.

I would dearly love to resurrect my VtM character. <3

10. scott says:

“I hope World of Darkness vampires sparkle in the sunlight, just like in Twilight.”

I don’t think you get this series at all. The vampires die in the sun. Its nothing like twilight. This was the most ridiculous statement ever.

11. Find a good which usually takes into consideration your self- are income Preteen Model Lola Bbs this way, you never need to concern yourself with it falling out.

12. The benefit for such loan lies within the interest rate and the
    repayment terms and condition that happen to be quite
    flexible fleetwood mac tour london 2015 i borrowed
    $2,625 and set it up to become returned in 6 payments.

13. At least playing the game is available in the middle of the Seas allows the
    users. The gadget has been rated for 4 stars and not even a mobile device.
    But what sort of an RPG and Match 3 was just too much information given over a
    two simple ways. At any time and interest to get bananas,
    medallion, coin, you will never let you get 50 points.

14. Spectacular! That you don’t come by info like this simply and that I am grateful!
    Preserve it-up people!

15. Our mother employs it-all time for hearing music and has a Sansa Video.

16. COMPLETE TRUE wurde womöglich consequently zum Companion etwa von Mario Botta, Zaha architectual rendering companies Hadid, Norman Burns Maranta.

17. Wir sind die 3d Agentur mit der besten Qualität und den besten Preisen in Wien und Österreich.

18. Beautiful! You never come by data such as this simply and that I
    am gracious! Maintain it-up men!

19. youtube says:

It is so difficult to find valuable content but this undoubtedly qualifies as you.

Making certainly will definitely return soon and content!

20. Spectacular! That you don’t come by data such as this quickly and
    I am not so ungrateful! Preserve it up people!

21. I have often been requested for distinctive suggestions for personalizing funerals and memorial solutions
    without investing a lot of cash. I am heading to share five suggestions with you
    that you will discover helpful as you go about making the greatest
    tribute to your loved 1.

This reminds me of my buddy Ed. He’s a financial planner, and
    a damn great 1 at that. But the purpose he’s so effective is simply because his values (preparing ahead, environment goals, business) are manifested via his occupation. And I think the greatest businesspeople in the world are those who do
    just that: combine vocation with values.

A feeling of humor goes a long way. In fact some hospitals now have “laughing rooms” which I’ve study about, but
    not noticed. I suppose they have humorous videos.
    A good chuckle is a fantastic stress reduction. You don’t feel like laughing, of program,
    but do it in any case, and don’t be apologetic.
    It’s a physiological remedy to unrelenting stress that expenses less,
    is much more readily available and has less aspect effects than Xanax.
    When you go back again to your hotel room at night, lease the funniest film
    you can find and chuckle.

(eight) Combine, combine, combine – that
    is, like with any other form of social media engagement,
    put it everywhere. How numerous times do individuals have to see something online prior to they consider action? 7?
    9? Then get your twitter handle out there. Use it in signature lines, on company playing cards
    and, heck, even write it on nametags.

Second – the issues that utilized to function, the things that used to excite
    people about coming to church, the stuff that utilized to bring individuals to the healing
    energy of Jesus, now seems to be the status quo and
    are no lengthier operating like they used to.
    The people in my community that are disconnected from God are
    not attracted to our worship services any much more,
    no matter how related we make them. (This is not just my personal encounter.

There are tons of studies out there now showing that less and less individuals every yr
    are attending church.) They don’t care what the music is
    like. They don’t care how related the concept is. They don’t treatment if it
    is welcoming an inviting.

If you are renting space then you can of course skip this step but if you are getting the party
    in your home then it is time to thoroughly clean and child proof your house.
    You may want to use streamers like “police tape” cutting off areas of your home that kids may find their way into.

Also you will want to put absent any breakables
    that could get ruined by thrilled, enjoyable looking for children. May be you could use the streamers as a runway displaying
    the direction toward the star of the celebration- the birthday child.

But with each passing day of wearing a nametag –
    I was pressured to look deeper. I knew there was something larger at work.

And now following 3 many years of company and 5 years of wearing
    a nametag all working day, every working day – it’s time
    to go from experimental to experiential. The following are 7 beneficial company lessons I learned from sporting a nametag.

Does it all work? Certain it does. And it’s a
    great deal much more in the spirit of Twitter than just obtaining some generic and spammy automobile-following checklist to add your handle — briefly — to their list of who to
    follow. Don’t be that man. Be somebody who you would want to adhere to.

22. By incorporating influencers and contests into your Instagram advertising
    strategy, you might be tapping into two of the most highly effective ways
    to find new users and convert them into customers. For instance, I’m used to ‘retweeting’ and ‘sharing’ on Facebook
    but that is tough on Instagram with out the usage of a Repost app.