EverQuest Next: Return Of The Sandbox

Everquest Next

We don't know much about EQNext but I'm pretty sure its box cover art will feature women warriors in metal bikinis

Word on the street is that Everquest Next is going to be a sandbox MMO, a huge one by all accounts. Colour me surprised. Just as I thought SOE were out of tricks, they go and play a blinder on us. I was honestly prepared for the next installment of my beloved EQ franchise to be yet another attempt at a themepark WoW clone. Good for SOE.

Of course, I’m sure some will say that there’s no room for sandbox MMOs in the market any more, citing the failure of any previous one to make a huge impact in the same way WoW did. This may be true and perhaps the themepark model will always reign supreme but I’m glad that at least one developer is willing to give the sandbox model another decent shot. After all, it’s not like we’ve actually had a huge number of them to pick from anyway, at least ones that weren’t missing half their features, riddled with bugs or akin to watching the Sopranos via a spreadsheet. I was referring to EVE online there.

I still remain convinced that a sandbox style MMO is worth pursuing and that it’s not succeeded before due to any fundamental flaw in the concept but rather issues with its execution. As time has proved over and over again (one only needs to look at SW:TOR), there is no magic formula for creating insanely popular MMOs and copying WoW piece-by-piece doesn’t seem to matter one iota either. Honestly, I think success is an impossible factor to predict, a result of a combination of critical mass and some unquantifiable extra ingredient, a special factor that we can’t measure, capture or duplicate, a certain I don’t know what as the French would say.

So I remain optimistic and tentatively excited about EverQuest Next. I’m glad to see SOE pushing the boat out and going back to their roots of not being afraid to try new things, pushing the boundaries of the industry forward a little. As much as I like WoW, it’s success has damaged in the genre in a way by making everyone obsessed with the idea that the only way to make something else as popular is to recreate it exactly. With any luck, a modest victory in the sandbox department would go a long way to encouraging developers to be a little more creative in their MMO ventures.

Now let’s just pray that SOE doesn’t screw it all up and release a a half-finished game 12 months too early. *cough* SWG *cough*

1. Are Sandbox MMOs Dying Out?
  2. Freedom Without Direction – The Risk of Sandbox MMORPGs
  3. Theme Park Meets Sandbox. Themebox?
  4. Everquest 2 Extended – A Deceptive Rip-Off
  5. My Glorious Return To EVE Online

1. bhagpuss says:

It took me by surprise, I have to say. Now that I’ve had time to get used to the idea, though I really like it.

I just hope Sony sticks with SoE long enough for the thing to get made.

2. Stabs says:

I think people sometimes miss just how sandbox Vanilla WoW was. There were raids but only a tiny tiny fraction of people did them. There were no dailies, there were no battlegrounds at first. Quests and instances were the innovations, both innovations that moved the genre from sandbox to themepark so WoW is remembered for being theme park compared to the extremely sandboxy games that preceded it (UO, EQ, SWG).

But early WoW for most of us was a game of improvised gameplay, of dancing on mailboxes, exploring, open world pvp, etc.

And that is the game that nailed the audience. Once it had its audience WoW would have kept them had they moved either way on the sandbox themepark spectrum. It’s interesting to imagine MMOs had WoW gradually done away with instancing, introduced item destruction and a player-driven economy, conquerable zones etc. I’m quite sure it would have been just as popular.

3. Hudson says:

Lets see how long it takes Sony to cave in and change the direction of the game

4. “Just as I thought SOE were out of tricks, they go and play a blinder on us.”

A blinder full of women…in chainmail bikinis, perhaps?

5. Arthanis says:

I’m really happy they abandoned the theme park route and try to innovate going back to their roots.

As and old school MMORPG gamer I’m sick and tired of the wow clones, of wow itself and really bored with the genre.

I hope they really stick to the sandboxy style. I really miss that .

6. pokemion says:

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this site. It’s simple, yet
    effective. A lot of times it’s difficult to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and appearance. I must say that you’ve
    done a great job with this. In addition, the blog loads
    super quick for me on Firefox. Superb Blog!

Here is my blog :: pokemion

7. thank you for posting your article it’s so awesome.. looking forward for this game..

Cheats

8. You really make it appear really easy along with your presentation however I find this topic to be really something that I believe I’d never understand. It sort of feels too complex and very extensive for me. I’m having a look forward for your subsequent publish, I will attempt to get the hang of it!

9. This game is as good as it’s review, it’s not going to be one of the big hitters, but a lot of MMO fans will be buying this and enjoy it as well.

10. Learn More says:

Female warriors in bikinis just can’t be beaten! Everyone loves seeing that. As for Sandbox MMO, i think they rock and always will

11. ニュース says:

ニュース…

EverQuest Next: Return Of The Sandbox | We Fly Spitfires – MMORPG Blog…

12. I do not comment, but after browsing through some of the responses here EverQuest
    Next: Return Of The Sandbox | We Fly Spitfires – MMORPG Blog.
    I actually do have 2 questions for you if you
    do not mind. Is it just me or does it look as if like
    a few of these responses look like they are left by brain dead
    visitors? :-P And, if you are posting on other online social sites, I’d like to follow
    you. Could you make a list of every one of all your social community sites
    like your Facebook page, twitter feed, or linkedin profile?

13. video says:

It’s just like your Sunday newspaper, which includes different sections.
    Cricket news in Hindi tells the tale of making of
    your star in this sport. If you are in the area, stop in to see
    homemade natural products displayed as well as for sale.

By reading a whole lot, EAL could find your
    meaning and usage of the new terms and apply them within their writing tasks.
    Little did Jake know this man was certainly one of Big Mike’s torpedoes, shipped
    to shoot him. video visa bulletin questions
    Read on to discover three patience tests that could have you implementing how
    being patient and hitting your writing stride.

When you’re being nice for a hero or heroine, you’re being
    bad for a book.

14. Since the admin of this site is working, no hesitation very shortly it will be well-known, due to its feature contents.

It is irrelevant if a game as terrible graphics, bad voice acting or even a horrible soundtrack, the sport could still be fun to try out.
    For, the essays might be written by skilled writers, there is going to
    be no chance about plagiarism together with your critique
    filling. follows (http://4-gutenberg.olympe.in/groups/heavenly-lovemaking)
    thrifty foods home delivery Where and the way you place your
    keywords in the article is absolutely important. But you’ve
    spent a long time developing your idea, and deserve the ideal writer to breathe life
    into it.